Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability... Worth it?

Is Full Self-Driving Capability For $10,000+ Worth It?

• Yes, it is definiitely worth the price.

• No, do not waste your money for it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What salt and crappy roads? I live on Vancouver Island.

Here we save our salt for our “slow cuisine”. Even then it is sea salt that we use. :)

Vancouver Island and Coastal BC are the only locations where it might make sense to get FSD dur to lack of snow and ice in winter. FSD will not work during snowfall, on snow-covered roads or if the cameras are covered in slush or grime. For those like me in Eastern Canada, FDS is not very useful in winter.

Adding FSD costs about the same as upgrading from the LR to the M3P when ordering. For me, the P is worth a lot more than FSD. I enjoy driving :)

Vancouver Island and Coastal BC are the only locations where it might make sense to get FSD dur to lack of snow and ice in winter. FSD will not work during snowfall, on snow-covered roads or if the cameras are covered in slush or grime.

I guess Musk could ask Grimes to go on camera to test the latter.

It will be interesting to see how FSD-capability develops.

Elon Musk envisions FSD to be a system that would allow Teslas to navigate across cities on their own without human input, after all, and to do this, vehicles would have to learn how to navigate areas that are unpaved or only partially visible.

This was mentioned by several commenters on Hallock’s video, some of whom noted that it would be pertinent for FSD to navigate snow-covered roads during winter. Considering that the Model 3 was able to find an optimal drivable space in the Tesla owner’s test, however, there seems to be a good chance that FSD would be able to drive in snowy or rainy weather as well.

Tesla FSD beta impressively navigates unpaved, partially covered road with ease

This is a long way from snowy conditions - snow on the ground is nothing like a few leaves and an unmarked road in the vid - where I am you deal with everything being white, sensors covered, signs covered, no way to see where the edge of the road is (including the ditch), four-lane highways down to 2-3 lanes created by drivers, freezing rain, traction issues and lots more. I think this will be a weak area for FSD for quite some time - I've yet to see a video of the new FSD in proper winter conditions which suggests to me they aren't giving it to people who have them. Which is probably for a reason...

Personally I won't buy FSD (again) until I've seen it perform in proper winter. I think that may take at least a year or two and until then even the full release will likely have an "except in poor conditions" clause which will include heavy winter. Subscription would be a better option in my mind, that way I could buy FSD for the months of the year when it's useful.

I Iive in Toronto. Drive across the 401 and up and down the 400 pretty much every day. I really appreciate having FSD, especially when driving home from work after a long day. I still hold the wheel and pay attention but it is nice to have the car do basically everything when driving to and from work. Also feels good knowing that there are several cameras looking at the road at the same time as me. I figure my chances of having an accident are much less if car is watching the road and other cars with me. I think it’s worth it and expect it to only get better. Hope this helps with your decision.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
I Iive in Toronto. Drive across the 401 and up and down the 400 pretty much every day. I really appreciate having FSD, especially when driving home from work after a long day. I still hold the wheel and pay attention but it is nice to have the car do basically everything when driving to and from work. Also feels good knowing that there are several cameras looking at the road at the same time as me. I figure my chances of having an accident are much less if car is watching the road and other cars with me. I think it’s worth it and expect it to only get better. Hope this helps with your decision.

Doesn't basic and the included AP work on the highway? FSD does this on most if not all city streets.
Serious question as my car is Pre AP.

Doesn't basic and the included AP work on the highway? FSD does this on most if not all city streets.
Serious question as my car is Pre AP.

Yes, basic includes "AP1". AP1 has adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, "assisted" lane changing, full stop, on highways and city streets. It works fine, but I rarely use it - I like to drive.
I don't need navigate on autopilot, advanced summon, or FSD. I feel no need to fork out another $10,600 for FSD.
My opinion

I used the money to invest in tesla stock and now I will have enough to upgrade to cybertruck from model 3 if stock is going up and up and up :) I will let the fsd beta tester help with the AI data collection. I am pretty sure FSD will be a subscription service in the future. And having FSD does not increase the sale value of your care in future