Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully Paid, Delivery Cancelled last minute? Post here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonaire

Aug 24, 2013
USA
This is only TMC, but it is seen on Twitter and Reddit too. Some people were given late Sept delivery dates for Model 3 and other cars only to get cancelled last minute and told delivery will happen next week or "soon". Can you post a short note regarding this here in this thread? Would be interested to see if this really is a large number. Assuming only a small percentage are on TMC versus the entire body of affected customers? If you fully paid here in Q3 and are getting delivery in Q4, please post

- Did it happen to you?
- City?
- original delivery date, new delivery date

Irrespective of intent, this is important piece of information and nothing new or wrong. Many folks have tweeted that are fully paid weeks ahead with still no car. While some folks (shorts/bears) can use information to their advantage but it it still a fact and will shed light on Tesla business practice and how it impacts it's customers where many started to pay interest without even seeing their cars. If there is a large number of folks who already paid and waiting, then that should be taken notice and escalated so Tesla can avoid this going forward.

Facts might hurt sometimes but nevertheless "facts are facts".

Reactions: cwerdna and bonaire
I just got my third cancelation now. (September 20, October 8, and for my October 17) All were a few hours before delivery.
I already paid for the car on October 7 and I am paying interest on my loan. Tesla is like the worst airline company, overbooking, canceling at last minute with no compensation. All my coworkers and friends are laughing at me, and those that considered buying from Tesla have big second thoughts. Tomorrow I am going to get a rental from Tesla through Hertz, I hope Hertz charges Tesla a lot of money for the rental, so at least it will hurt Tesla on their pocket, maybe then they will deliver my car.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I just got my third cancelation now. (September 20, October 8, and for my October 17) All were a few hours before delivery.
I already paid for the car on October 7 and I am paying interest on my loan. Tesla is like the worst airline company, overbooking, canceling at last minute with no compensation. All my coworkers and friends are laughing at me, and those that considered buying from Tesla have big second thoughts. Tomorrow I am going to get a rental from Tesla through Hertz, I hope Hertz charges Tesla a lot of money for the rental, so at least it will hurt Tesla on their pocket, maybe then they will deliver my car.

Rami - any proof of this? It's your first post, so most will think you are short and making this up.

I am not a short seller, on the contrary, I am even a little invested in Tesla. I have emails from Tesla notifying me 3 times on delivery, and then calling me (The last cancelation I got a txt message) on the cancelation. I have my loan in Bank of America on a Vin they canceled.
They now promise the car will be delivered Oct 31. For Tesla benefit I would say that after the last cancelation they gave me a rental and Tesla is paying for the Gas. I got a nice Nissan Altima.
I am really crossing my fingers that this time they will deliver, if not I will cancel and hope Tesla will pay me back.
I am not the only one out there there are many stories on the web with people with the same experience.
I will post again on Oct 31 to update if I did get my car.

The delivery center is in Littleton Colorado, but I do not think it is the delivery center falt. The first time I was postpone on September 20, I didn't even get a VIN number (This time I did not pay yet because I could not take the loan with no Vin number). Clearly Tesla tried to get a lot of car sales out the door before the end of the quarter, and they were over optimistic. They called just a day before saying they have to postpone no reason, just there is no car. What I hate about it they schedule with customers when they knew they will not be able to deliver to all of them. Second time it was after I paid and the delivery center called me an hour before delivery saying the car arrived damaged, and I would be assigned a new car. Maybe this is related to to the delivery center not sure. Third time I was scheduled by a Tesla worker in California she was very nice gave me her phone number. I called her three days before delivery and she said it is on the truck on its way to Colorado and it a passed a few checkpoints. A day before delivery I get a txt from someone else at Tesla, saying he took over the account from her, he is very sorry but the car never left California (Someone is lying). No new date, he never called me to update me. The lady that told me that the car is on the way, now does not answer my calls or replies to my emails or Text. After I called Tesla main number I got a new date, two weeks ahead :( October 31. I asked why so long, they said that's the date they got from the trucking company and they cannot control it. As I said now at least the delivery center in Colorado gave me a rental. The person in Colorado does answer my calls, and calls back when I leave a message and he arranged the rental. So the Colorado center is OK, Tesla headquarters is awful. I really was a fan of Tesla, and I am so excited to get the Model 3. I did not expect this kind of behavior. I really hope that my car will arrive this time and I will forget about this bad experience.

It is October 31 and I still do not have my Tesla. About two weeks ago the last delivery advisor told me that my car got delayed because of repairs it needed to go after manufacturing, and she does no when they will finish them. I called Tesla every day to get an update. Two days ago the delivery advisor said she doesn't know when they will finish to fix my assigned car and she assigned me a new car that has 0 tickets service records and it should be ready for delivery November 10 in Colorado. Crossing my fingers I will update November 10.

It is October 31 and I still do not have my Tesla. About two weeks ago the last delivery advisor told me that my car got delayed because of repairs it needed to go after manufacturing, and she does no when they will finish them. I called Tesla every day to get an update. Two days ago the delivery advisor said she doesn't know when they will finish to fix my assigned car and she assigned me a new car that has 0 tickets service records and it should be ready for delivery November 10 in Colorado. Crossing my fingers I will update November 10.
Wow! I’m really trying to stay optimistic after hearing all these horror stories while I wait for my first delivery on Nov 17, my IDA said it was in-transit and would be in FL on Mov 10. I’m curious to know if this is true now. It sucks that a single story can so easily add doubt, Tesla really need some to figure this out, and I understand it’s a learning game but it feels like it’s been long enough.

Mid Nov should be fine without delays. The issue was "right at the end" of the qtr where people paid in-full and held the delivery over until Q4. That money boosted the Customer Deposits line item of the financials since that's where the dollars go when fully-paid. Some believe that they were "financially delivered" as they say in Q3, however.

Mid Nov should be fine without delays. The issue was "right at the end" of the qtr where people paid in-full and held the delivery over until Q4. That money boosted the Customer Deposits line item of the financials since that's where the dollars go when fully-paid. Some believe that they were "financially delivered" as they say in Q3, however.
I don’t think Tesla can recognize the deposits as revenue, it stays as a liability until the car is delivered to the customer, not when they paid.

You're missing it. The fully paid for car goes into:
- liabilities as Customer Deposit (for whole amount paid) - makes reservations look better
- assets as some kind of deferred revenue or A.R.
- cash can be borrowed against the asset (car) that is in-transit which can help the cash position.

You want a lot of paid for cars that are not delivered at the end of a quarter.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
Since I've been tracking all such comments across the entire forum... which delivery center? Some of them are starting to get their logistics together, others are still suffering from total chaos.

Add this to your tracker....

I’ve had nothing short of a confused nightmare for home delivery to RI (Jasmine/Hector). I live 35 miles from the Dedham store and they will not allow me to pickup (apprently due to MA sales tax laws). After providing proof of reciprocal sales tax laws, they still can’t do it, only home delivery.

Needless to say:
- 9/18 ordered
- 10/18 final payment
- delivery dates pushed 3 times
- several emails, calls
- on the truck for delivery by 11/4

Here’s what I can gather:
- There’s only 1 truck making deliveries in NE each week.

- The folks in the Las Vegas Home Delivery call center are overwhelmed and are encouraged to email only. Don’t expect someone to pickup or return your call.

- Use Tesla financing then refinance. 3rd party lenders definitely hold up the entire delivery process.

This time I got my Tesla as promised on October 10. The delivery experience wes good & so so.
I had to wait an hour for the car but then someone at Tesla was very nice and gave us full overview on the car.
The car came in perfect condition and in the spec I ordered.
Looking back maybe at was good to go through this tourchering process, because I got my loan at %3.09 at Bank of America now it is %3.44. Also Tesla did gave me a nice rental until I got the car.
On the car (AWD not performance, 19 inch wheels).
The good: Amazingly fast, drives great on curvy road. The tech is great, middle screen awesome, and so many features. Autopilot is very convenient on highway driving.
The bad: Comparing to the Nissan Altima I got as a rental: Integration with phone is a bit disappointing. Espitally choosing music on the phone you have to do it on the phone. The Altima felt a bit more roomy.
Depends: The vegan sits do not fill as high end as leather sits, still they are very nice. I do prefer the vegan choice more environmentally friendly and human.