TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Funny noise

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Doug_G, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Recently I've started to get a "chirp" sound from somewhere on the right side of the car whenever I go over a larger bump. I can't say where exactly, but it doesn't seem to be from the front. Any ideas what that might be?

2. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

If it's related to the squeak I have, it's reproducable by pushing down on an already-closed trunk -- try different areas, from the furthest to the rear to the closest to hinge. If that's it, then I think I know what it is (and will detail it), but haven't solved it yet.

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Now that you've taken your car out of storage Doug, maybe the first Robin of spring has built a nest in your Roadster? :wink::biggrin:

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Cute. Spring is definitely NOT in the air. Besides the robins always try to build their nest in my back porch, not the garage.

For the winter I'm leaving it in storage mode, but driving it occasionally when the roads are dry. I took it out for a spin last night, and noticed lots of "chirps".

I might have driven it to work today, but my wife expressed a preference for her toes being toasty warm. :frown:

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

You have a way to record the audio? "chirp" probably means 100 different things to us all here :)

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay weather is still good so I'll take it out tonight and record it on my phone.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, I managed to record some "chirps" tonight.

It definitely didn't do it as much as it did last night. That makes me wonder if it's a temperature thing, because it wasn't as cold.

Click this link to play the sound. Chirps happen at the start, near the middle, and towards the end.

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/temp/Tesla.wav

8. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

sounds kinda like the squeek that comes from the top of my dash; where the plastic piece joins the window. If I push down near the corner it disappears.

9. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

For me it sounds like a piece of metal hitting somewhere with low impact. Nothing to be worried about. Possibly DRM is right, check it.

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Hm, yeah not at all what I was thinking. Does sound like metal on metal to me. Maybe the e-brake cable (which you can test by giving it a little bit of tension while testing)?

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll look into your suggestions. I'll also try again recording the sound; it was much more obvious and longer-lasting the previous night.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'm just not finding it that funny. Never been a big Seinfeld fan either. To each his own I guess.