Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW update causing system failures or just coincidence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 S has not once, not twice but thrice had system errors and failures after firmware upgrades. Has anybody ever experienced this? This is kind of my worst nightmare... car out of warranty getting upgrades that cause me to think I need a new vehicle even though, otherwise, it operates fine, like getting iOS upgrades that make your 1 year old phone slow right down.

The current update seems to have caused:
- traction control disabled
- stability control disabled
- ABS needs service
- regenerative braking disabled
- Tire pressure system needs service (this issue is ongoing on account of my not adding TPMS to my new wheels)

Tesla tech in Cali suggested there is a correlation between the updates and the failures but Tesla service in Montreal seems to think otherwise. Three patches were applied to this latest update with no success. The whole Nav system is weird now too although it looks nice. My whole centre screen has become laggy.

I had an issue a couple years ago with an update which seemed to link to a complete failure of the TPMS module thereby somehow bricking the main battery pack although the SOC was 76% when I left it in the parking lot. Two hours later battery was zero and car not-drivable. It's been over a year and a half and I'm still on my loaner battery.

I am a big Tesla fan boy but some of this issues have really taken some of the shine off of late.