Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GAP insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on GAP insurance being worth it, and what policy to get?

I'm buying via Tesla loan.

Getting confused between the different phrasing - Combined Return To Invoice, Vehicle Replacement, Return To Invoice, Vehicle Finance Gap?!

Any thoughts?

Unless it’s a legal requirement, the decision to purchase insurance is a lot about peace of mind. I did buy some gap insurance for my MY. Note that it can be difficult to get vehicle replacement gap insurance because - not all insurers offer this because vehicle features change all the time so a direct replacement may not be possible. I got the return to invoice version. Consider an independent broker to advise you on the best type for your situation.

Any thoughts on GAP insurance being worth it, and what policy to get?

I'm buying via Tesla loan.

Getting confused between the different phrasing - Combined Return To Invoice, Vehicle Replacement, Return To Invoice, Vehicle Finance Gap?!

Any thoughts?
100% get gap. I had a tree fall on my last car and it saved me a nightmare shortfall of almost £8,000 on a 13 month old car.

My understanding on policies

Vehicle Replacement - They cover the difference between the insurance pay-out and the cost to replace to a similar vehicle with the same make, spec, mileage and age as your vehicle.

Return to invoice - They cover the difference between the insurance pay-out and the cost of the vehicle on the invoice or the outstanding finance balance, whichever is higher.

Combined return to invoice is both, and you get whichever is higher.

I generally do combined or return to invoice, this time I'm likely to do combined only as the car has increased in price since I ordered it.

As an aside, many insurers provide new for old insurance cover anyway for a new car's first year - so you don't usually need GAP if you only intend to keep the car for the first year - I don't think you generally get the option to purchase VAT for your second year of ownership though so generally if you intend on keeping the vehicle a while get it at the start

Last edited: