Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Question - Young Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In July we will be making our annual road trip to Southern Spain from our home in Cheshire. Normally just my self and my son go in the car and the wife flies out to join us.
In the past I have always done all the driving but I would really like my son to share some of the driving with me. He is age 22 now, has his own car and insurance (electric Corsa) for around 4 years now. He hasn't made any claims.

I'm not optimistic it is even going to be possible, or if it is the price may be so prohibitive to not be worth the bother. Before I start looking does anyone have any pointers or advice to offer?

We are going in our Model 3 Performance (Ins Group 50).
I would be prepared to agree with the insurer that he would only be insured provided I am present in the vehicle if it helped ease the cost, but I'm thinking even trying to start a conversation like that with any insurer is likely to meet with immediate dead ends given the computer says no generation we live in today.

Thoughts comments observations would be much appreciated.

Presumably just add your son as named driver to your M3P policy with EU cover? Depending on current insurer, may be able to do this online (for free, in case of Churchill). The insurer will be more interested it in being a time-limited policy change, as that lowers risk.

Presumably just add your son as named driver to your M3P policy with EU cover? Depending on current insurer, may be able to do this online (for free, in case of Churchill). The insurer will be more interested it in being a time-limited policy change, as that lowers risk.
I’ve yet to find an insurance company willing to even quote on either of our Tesla for our 22 year old (with his own 5 year no claim history on his car). This includes for short-term cover. Have you done this?

My son was 25 when I got my M3LR just over 2 years ago. I looked into adding him onto my policy & the best price I was given at the time was £3500 (my policy was ~£600). Bearing in mind that was for domestic UK driving only. To be honest, I think you will be out of luck getting your son covered for driving outside the UK for anything close to that, if at all, given his age.

I am curious if you could share what your insurance company will say...

that potentially will be at the price level of hiring a cab to travel to Spain... :D
I couldn't log in on my Model 3 Insurance, so I thought I would try it on my Etron GT, with very low expectations. My insurer on this vehicle is currently Admiral. My policy ends in mid February next year. When you log in you have the option to add someone temporarily or permanently. I dutifully entered all my sons information and 30 days temporary cover was £295.00. Less than I was expecting but still probably a deal breaker in the context of a single return trip.

I retried adding him as a permanent driver and the cost was £280 (effectively for the remaining 9 months of this policy year). I was really very suprised as that does actually seem a decent price to me. As for whether I would be comfortable with him off on a night out with his mates in the car, well that is another matter!

I couldn't log in on my Model 3 Insurance, so I thought I would try it on my Etron GT, with very low expectations. My insurer on this vehicle is currently Admiral. My policy ends in mid February next year. When you log in you have the option to add someone temporarily or permanently. I dutifully entered all my sons information and 30 days temporary cover was £295.00. Less than I was expecting but still probably a deal breaker in the context of a single return trip.

I retried adding him as a permanent driver and the cost was £280 (effectively for the remaining 9 months of this policy year). I was really very suprised as that does actually seem a decent price to me. As for whether I would be comfortable with him off on a night out with his mates in the car, well that is another matter!
Very good price!

but not Model 3 Performance, though :D

Reactions: TheManofMead
Your mileage may vary but I’m an owner of a Model Y LR from 2022 and I was newly 21 when I took delivery. With admiral in my first year it was around £7500+ for insurance and most companies just wouldn’t quote me. Thankfully, I know it’s still crazy, this year at 22 yrs old I’m only paying £3000 with Admiral, as they’re the only ones giving such a low price.

Notes: I had points on my licence at the time, 3, (all clear now) and my wife was not an aiding factor when comparing the quotes. I bought this insurance in behalf of my business as the car is technically owned by my LTD company.

Veygo is the service I’ve used when getting day insurance for my mother or friends, they seem to offer favourable rates.

Could your son get "driving other vehicles" on his own insurance - even for a temporary period and of course it would be limited to third party but with you in the car anyway its like supervised - and gives you a break.

Driving other vehicles is third party ‘emergency’ cover only. I had this forcefully pointed out by Direct Line when I suggested I use it to drive a temporary company car replacement for my wife’s car and I was not explicitly covered on her company car insurance for that specific car - I was on her previous one.

DL’s explanation of ‘emergency’ was effectively unplanned one off use, which was basically what we wanted (except the unplanned), but DL would be having nothing of it as the use would be planned - driving temporary company car home when picking up a new personally insured car. I got to drive the new car first!