Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t get insurance! (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.
I was advised against it initially by my ex accountant… I now wish I hadn’t listened and put personal name.
What’s annoying is that I’ve just last year added a keeper as switched from company A to Company B… ideally reluctant to add a third keeper 😭
Just barely got over the 2nd keeper 🤣
Assuming you have finance (sorry if you don’t), but do I need to let my finance company now about the change in V5C? 🤔 it’s a business finance (similar to business HP) so we have a lot of freedom when it comes to it..
my company accountant said the same thing. Said "HMRC would not like it" if they audited me. but I worked in vehicle licencing for many years so I challenged his BS and he was unable to explain why he thought what he thought. and Knowing that the DVLAs position is that the keeper ought to be the person who keeps the vehicle and has nothing at all to do with ownership I just ignored him and did it anyway. The Receipt for the cars is in the company name. Company owns the vehicles end of. Keeper is irrelevant.
If a vehicle is leased the lease company usually keeps the V5 and has it in their name ( though really they should not since they are not the keeper but it stops you selling their car) but if you have the V5 there should not be any restriction on who is marked as the keeper I don't think.

Reactions: Blueskye
my company accountant said the same thing. Said "HMRC would not like it" if they audited me. but I worked in vehicle licencing for many years so I challenged his BS and he was unable to explain why he thought what he thought. and Knowing that the DVLAs position is that the keeper ought to be the person who keeps the vehicle and has nothing at all to do with ownership I just ignored him and did it anyway. The Receipt for the cars is in the company name. Company owns the vehicles end of. Keeper is irrelevant.
If a vehicle is leased the lease company usually keeps the V5 and has it in their name ( though really they should not since they are not the keeper but it stops you selling their car) but if you have the V5 there should not be any restriction on who is marked as the keeper I don't think.
That’s exactly what I was told.
I WISH I did what my head told me.. which is exactly
What you explained. V hard lesson learned 😭.

I’m about to try and get some fleet insurance quotes first and see what happens, if no success I’ll change the keeper 😭.

Reactions: Jason71

I’m about to try and get some fleet insurance quotes first and see what happens, if no success I’ll change the keeper 😭.

Most of the (newish, clueless, young and presumably cheap) accountants at the largish firm I used didn't know about company cars seemingly as non-electric ones weren't very common in previous few years. It was a complete pain and I was sending them info when they got stuck.

They had to dust off one of their older colleagues in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye

let us know how you get on with the fleet quotes please. Be interested to know how they compare

let us know how you get on with the fleet quotes please. Be interested to know how they compare
I managed to speak with one only that gave me an approximate quote of £1750 for the year..
But it needs to be confirmed Monday.. it’s looking promising so far!

I had to contain the excitement when the operator told me 🤣. Acting as if I wasn’t desperate and this is totally not the best price by a mile! 🫣

I wish I knew this was an option before!