Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door open/close by itself related to MS ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 4am, my garage door opened somehow and it woke me up (I have those old screw driver type noisy garage door). That wasn't a good experience without knowing what the heck happened. With a bat, i stood there for 10 minutes and trying to figure out why the thief (if any) was trying to get in/out from the garage. After around 20 minutes, the garage door closed itself. yes, yes, I was too scared to get into garage to check/close the garage.

This was never happened before. It make me think if this is related to the MS after I did cross searching on the internet. I have a loaner P90D parked inside of the garage plugged in (it finished charging by then). Since it was a loaner, I didn't have the homelink setup. Instead, a garage remote control was clipped on the sun-visor on driver side. is it possible the MS is sending some signal to the opener? not sure if MS is involved.

Did anyone experience this before? I am gonna setup a motion camera tonight...

I cant imaging what you experience was related to your MS. I had a similar experience years ago, but was unable to determine the cause (before my MS). It was rumored long ago that ppl would drive around and use signal detectors to isolate and program other remotes. But with the newer rolling signal remotes, that's not the case anymore. Perhaps you have a very old garage opener that uses 10 on off switches to program? Perhaps take your remote in tonight to make sure no one opened your car (not sure if that's possible) and press the button.

I also doubt it's the Tesla.

Be aware that if your neighbors have recently replaced their garage door, or maybe if you have new neighbors, you may have some interference -- as CarmaKazi suggests, especially if your garage door opener is old. Just a couple months ago, my Mom's garage door starting going up and down on it's own (she owns a RAV4 with no Homelink, and the opener is more than 12 years old without rolling code security). The problem ended up being a neighbor two doors down that was causing it to happen as they sometimes pushed their remote approaching their driveway in front of my mom's place. I changed dip switches on my Mom's opener to change some part of the code being used, reprogrammed her remote to match, and all is well with her world again. Pheww.

I had a similar issue happen before I got my Model S. It happened again years later, but this time it started happing with much more regular frequency - like every couple of minutes. I ended up clearing the memory on the garage door opener and re-programming all the remotes and the problem went away. Because it happened the first time before I got my Model S, I don't think the issue is Model S related.

Did you recently pair, or try to pair your garage door with a remote? If a neighbor happened to be opening their garage door at the same time then your door and their remote will pair. It happened to me a few months ago and I had the same ‘garage door open in the middle of the night’ experience (except it happened to be when they closed their garage door).

it's very strange, but I have a new Model S and this morning I went out to the front yard and was surprised to see my garage door wide open! The opener's light (timed) wasn't on, so the door must have been open a while, perhaps all night.

I programmed my remote into the MS Homelink button a couple days ago and it has been working fine so far, and I know for sure I closed the garage door when I got home yesterday. None of our next door neighbours have a garage anywhere near ours, so I don't think their remote could have accidentally paired with my opener at the time I was programming from my MS.

The garage is detached from the house, and I did walk outside in the back yard, possibly passing near the garage with the key fob in my pocket at the time, but anyhow I don't think the key fob would have anything to do with it (aside: how close do you have to be anyhow for the doors to unlock?).

This is the first time I've ever found the garage door open if I didn't open it myself, lived here many years.Somehow my MS is a factor. I guess I will see if I can somehow clear the opener's memory and reprogram the Homelink from my MS...

Did you recently pair, or try to pair your garage door with a remote? If a neighbor happened to be opening their garage door at the same time then your door and their remote will pair. It happened to me a few months ago and I had the same ‘garage door open in the middle of the night’ experience (except it happened to be when they closed their garage door).

Yes, I recently (20 days ago) re-paired one of my remote with the garage door before setup my MS homelink. the neighbor 's garage are very far from us. I don't think that happened. plus, it was 4am when I heard my garage door open itself ...

- - - Updated - - -

it's very strange, but I have a new Model S and this morning I went out to the front yard and was surprised to see my garage door wide open! The opener's light (timed) wasn't on, so the door must have been open a while, perhaps all night.

I programmed my remote into the MS Homelink button a couple days ago and it has been working fine so far, and I know for sure I closed the garage door when I got home yesterday. None of our next door neighbours have a garage anywhere near ours, so I don't think their remote could have accidentally paired with my opener at the time I was programming from my MS.

The garage is detached from the house, and I did walk outside in the back yard, possibly passing near the garage with the key fob in my pocket at the time, but anyhow I don't think the key fob would have anything to do with it (aside: how close do you have to be anyhow for the doors to unlock?).

This is the first time I've ever found the garage door open if I didn't open it myself, lived here many years.Somehow my MS is a factor. I guess I will see if I can somehow clear the opener's memory and reprogram the Homelink from my MS...

it sounds like we are on the same boat. Anyway, my plan is to add a power shutoff feature to my garage door control so that I can shut off the power at night in case anything happens.

it sounds like we are on the same boat. Anyway, my plan is to add a power shutoff feature to my garage door control so that I can shut off the power at night in case anything happens.
I guess the only logical explanation is that adding the Homelink remote from my MS somehow messed up something in my garage opener itself (whether erroneously picking up a neighbour's remote or other weirdness). No way the MS is transmitting garage codes by itself at night, right??

So I have now erased the memory in my garage opener (which I didn't do when I first added the MS) and I reprogrammed it from scratch with my other existing remotes and keypad, plus erased and reconfigured the Homelink setting in my MS. Hopefully that will be the last of the mystery open doors.