Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener Possibly sending Double Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I use the garage door opener on my gate it opens, but then after a second the gate reverses as if it has received the signal again. This doesn't happen with any of my other cars, just the Tesla.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Are there any possible fixes such as shortening the duration of the broadcast?

How are you actuating it? I mean, are you manually pushing the Homelink button or are you letting it auto close or open based on proximity settings?

If the latter, I suspect you are seeing a Firmware issue.There are several threads on this issue, but the short version is that Homelink, and especially the geofencing component of it has been seriously messed up for the past several Firmware releases. For me that started with 17.32, and at least on the present version I am on 17.42 it isn't appreciably better. Looking forward to 17.44 or 17.46 and hoping it will be fixed. What Firmware version are you on?

• Informative
Reactions: Black/Black MS
I am manually activating it from the screen, but relevant to your comment I had an annoying issue since my latest software update (.42). The Homelink button no longer automatically shows up as I exit my driveway, I have to go through a series of button pushes (tap screen, tap homelink, tap opener) which is very annoying. The Homelink button still does pop up automatically as I enter my driveway.

I am manually activating it from the screen, but relevant to your comment I had an annoying issue since my latest software update (.42). The Homelink button no longer automatically shows up as I exit my driveway, I have to go through a series of button pushes (tap screen, tap homelink, tap opener) which is very annoying. The Homelink button still does pop up automatically as I enter my driveway.
Did you try removing it hen adding it again at the gate? Maybe the GPS memory is off.

Mine does exactly this and has done for the last few firmware versions.
I am on 46.8 and I let it open and close manually. It double taps often meaning my garage door is open about 6 inches when I get to it. Annoying.
It was perfect before the update that allowed us to edit the distance of Homelink activation.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Mine has never been that reliable. For auto-opening, I shortened the distance. That helped a little.

I also added a longer wire to the "antenna" on the openers' receiver. That helped even more.

Otherwise, I still share some of your issues. Often it doesn't automatically close. Sometimes the Homelink button takes several pushes to cycle the garage opener. Kind of embarrassing. And wife is thinking, "And how much did you pay for this car?"

I had a similar issue as well that seems to have fixed itself without a software update in the past week. Previously I had noticed that my car was sending 2 signals as well because I use the phone app to trigger homelink to open my garage door. The door would go up about 3 inches and stop, the effect of a second signal being sent. Then if I push the home link button again the door will start to close and then will receive another signal causing the door to open. Manually triggering from the app or from the dash had the same effect as letting the car try to auto open. It all started working again this week...

Last edited:
Yup. Up until maybe a month ago, Homelink worked flawlessly for me on two different homes/garages.

Now it farks up almost every time. Before, it would trigger the signal once, about 30 feet from my garage, and by the time I turned the corner to go into the driveway, the door would be almost all the way up. Now it fires at the same place (the bong sound), but the door remains shut until I get right up to it. And half the time it doesn't even open, and half the time it forgets to do the auto-close when I leave.

Whatever they did to perfectly working code to mess it up this much is really par for the course for the software group. This problem, LTE throttling, USB, BT, and Slacker loading errors now also. It's like it keeps getting worse instead of better.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Mine has never been that reliable. For auto-opening, I shortened the distance. That helped a little.

I also added a longer wire to the "antenna" on the openers' receiver. That helped even more.

Otherwise, I still share some of your issues. Often it doesn't automatically close. Sometimes the Homelink button takes several pushes to cycle the garage opener. Kind of embarrassing. And wife is thinking, "And how much did you pay for this car?"
I Question the addition of longer wire improved your range... antenna length is a function of signal wavelength.... maybe you altered the position of the wire? I did quite a bit of checking this out on my own unit, and found no change in range by lengthening antenna.

I Question the addition of longer wire improved your range... antenna length is a function of signal wavelength.... maybe you altered the position of the wire? I did quite a bit of checking this out on my own unit, and found no change in range by lengthening antenna.

My guess is that I went from a 1/4 wavelength (~25mm) to a 1/2 wavelength (~50mm) to ~double the signal reception strength. However, RF design has never been one of my strengths...still seems like magic.

My Homelink behaves precisely the same way, and has since 17.32. At present, it is about 40% reliable in opening the garage door when I arrive from elsewhere, and maybe 5% at closing it when I leave. There seems to be some kind of link between the driver profile and the likelihood of it closing it (or at least giving me a button to do so myself...), viz., if I leave the car in my "Entry/Exit" profile (moves the seat back, the steering wheel up and in to get it out of my way ingressing/egressing) it's about twice as likely to close the door or at least open the Homelink dialogue (usually with the notation that it skipped actuation) than it is if I leave it in my actual driving profile. This despite the fact that 17.42 turned off the ability of the thing to actually move the seat or wheel when I walk up with my fob (it is supposed to switch to my profile when I open the door... since 17.42 it switches the displayed name of the profile, but doesn't actually move anything...).

This is actually my biggest beef with Tesla. I have no problem being a Beta tester for AP2/EAP or even their trials at FSD. I get that it may take a while for all of the vehicle's features to be made active and function as advertised. But I have a real problem when they take a software function which works pretty well (e.g., Homelink), and mess it up for no apparent reason. A long time ago (circa 1981), I was a young engineer in the Flight Ops directorate at NASA/JSC and we had a saying: "Do not optimize the optimum; Better is the enemy of good". Tesla needs to learn a little from their SpaceX brethren...

Reactions: hcdavis3
Did you put brand new batteries in the your garage door remote before you used it to teach it to the car?
The car needs to learn from a full strength signal.

Yes, but that is definitely not the issue. The car appears to be holding the signal too long so that the garage door thinks it is being sent a double click of sorts.

Moreover, can you cite a single time where that has been the issue?