Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garbage text

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
I got a text that consisted of alphanumeric characters and symbols that looked like a dump of a photo or something. It started saying each nonsense character and the volume control didn't work and tapping the text screen did not stop it ranting nonsense. I was stabbing my finger all over, I don't know what actually stopped it. Was almost ready to do a double button reset. The text was normal text on my phone, no image or emoticon.

Has this happened to you? How do you stop it?

...Was almost ready to do a double button reset...

Why the hesitation?

When in doubt, that's the first thing I would do: reboot / reset the system.

It could be just an innocent and temporary bug.

Or, for older S and X, it could indicate a worn-out memory chip that indicates that the standard warranty period has been over and it's time to pay up to swap out the chip.

Addendum:

Sorry. It thought it's about corrupted built-in characters on the display such as "90%" "Scheduled Charging"...but it sounds like it's about cell phone messaging displaying on the screen of which I have no idea!

Last edited:
As mentioned above Android - especially Pixel - with Chat features which are RCS turned on deliver the header garbage and Tesla doesn't know to ignore it. If you have had successful texts in the past, then - Did you just change settings or change text app? If not try a reboot.