Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gardx ... any reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Quick question regarding paint protection. I came across a product called Gardx as a two stage paint protection system. Has anyone heard of it or used it in the past? Considering using it but obviously not if it doesn't have much of a result.

Thanks

I think there are better products out there. Look in detailingworld for reviews. Also, unless you are doing some prolishing to the car beforehand, you're just locking in the current state of the paintwork. There's a thread on here about paintwork care, but detailing world is the best forum for this sort of thing. Tesla's are much the same as any other car when it comes to paint.

Not quite what you’re asking, but I self applied autoglym ceramic to my car. Left it looking like glass.

Due to work, kids summer break and general life, I’ve not had time to wash it in the near 2 months it’s been on. Today, it looked pretty grubby, dust, bird mess and bug splats. On the drive home today it rained (that’s the wet stuff from the sky for those who have forgotten) and the car almost self cleaned! Don’t get me wrong it’s not a great job but a very heavy downpour, lots of standing water and could just see the water FMT inning off the glass and paint. Looks much better and would certainly use it again

Not quite what you’re asking, but I self applied autoglym ceramic to my car. Left it looking like glass.

Due to work, kids summer break and general life, I’ve not had time to wash it in the near 2 months it’s been on. Today, it looked pretty grubby, dust, bird mess and bug splats. On the drive home today it rained (that’s the wet stuff from the sky for those who have forgotten) and the car almost self cleaned! Don’t get me wrong it’s not a great job but a very heavy downpour, lots of standing water and could just see the water FMT inning off the glass and paint. Looks much better and would certainly use it again
Did the same and applied BMW protect - basically a branded GardX product. I bought the 2 stage kit on eBay for £15. Bargain - took me an hour or so to apply.

94CD71F8-3488-4BBE-8FF2-6A51F68DD144.jpeg
94CD71F8-3488-4BBE-8FF2-6A51F68DD144.jpeg

And the beading after last nights rain….

If you wash the car yourself and want to achieve beading and other benefits from hydrophobic properties, then there are other products that can be used as part of the normal wash regime.

I use Autoglyms Polar Seal, which sprays on as part of the rinse to dry phases which turns the whole car hydrophobic for many months - quite weird when applying it as it repels itself. Certainly, in my experience, it will still be effective 6 months later, if not longer after application. It won't lock in the shine like a ceramic coating, but doesn't add much time or effort to every other wash, is relatively inexpensive and adds that beading water look that many might like.

Doesn't stop the car being a dirt magnet (especially lower 1/3 of the sides and rear boot) though but does seem to make the car easier to clean when it does get dirty. Don't know if current cars have as soft a paint as earlier vehicles, but I would look at PPF on the sills and lower doors before any paint coating that is microscopically thin.

Reactions: M1tch