Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redeem supercharging miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Received 15k credits for my Model Y after replacing my M3 (nice surprise!).

I can redeem 5k credits for 3k miles, or 1.5k credits for 300 miles. Obviously the 5k credits for 3k miles is better value but both expire after 6 months and 90% of my charging is at home.

I have seen conflicting reports that once used the expiry date then extends each time, does anyone have experience of this?

Doesn't seem to be too much else to interest me otherwise to redeem on.

Thanks

Hi all,

Received 15k credits for my Model Y after replacing my M3 (nice surprise!).

I can redeem 5k credits for 3k miles, or 1.5k credits for 300 miles. Obviously the 5k credits for 3k miles is better value but both expire after 6 months and 90% of my charging is at home.

I have seen conflicting reports that once used the expiry date then extends each time, does anyone have experience of this?

Doesn't seem to be too much else to interest me otherwise to redeem on.

Thanks
When I purchased my first Tesla in 2020 this certainly didn't happen. The only way the expiry date extended was when I received another referral & that scheme closed near the end of 2021. I have now used all but 67 of those free miles but they expire in a few weeks, on 4th May.

Reactions: boombap
Each purchase of miles extends the end date of all outstanding miles by 6 months up to a max of 3 years from the purchase date.

If you bought 3 lots with your 15k points you’d get 9k miles to use over the next 18 months. By only buying miles when you need them and using up all points just before your referral points expire in 12 months you might be able to extend this a little more too.

Tesla reward points last on your account for 12 months.

Free Supercharging lasts for 6 months “from being added to your account” (Tesla app).

I assume on month 1 I could activate 6 months of supercharging and on month 11 I could activate another 6 months of supercharging (assuming I have the points) taking me technically to almost 18 months?

Finally, the Tesla notes below state each referral resets the time stamp. Does anybody know if that includes test-drive referrals?

What is a “grant date”. Is it the date you activated free supercharging or the date you got the points initially? I’ve asked my local dealership and they don’t know!! Maybe somebody here has experience of this?

Expiration Dates
Your credits expire 12 months and Supercharging miles expire 6 months from their respective Grant Dates.

If you earn additional credits, the expiration date for all of your credits will be extended by 12 months from the most recent Grant Date. In order to extend the expiration date for all of your credits, the delivery date must precede the previous credit expiration date.

If you redeem credits for additional Supercharging miles, the expiration date for all of your Supercharging miles will be extended by 6 months, up to 36 months.

I answered this only this morning

I've a number of referrals over the years including since they reintroduced them nearly a year ago and it has been consistent

I'll summerise/expand here

Referral credits get awarded on delivery of a car (or a test drive).
They last for 12 months.
When new points get added, those plus any that are still valid all have their end date extended to the new date ie 12 months time
Points will therefore only expire if no new points are added within 12 months

Supercharging miles last for 6 months irrespecitve of how long the referral points have left, so long as they have not expired when the miles were bought.
You can buy miles on the last valid day of the points and you'll still get 6 months
Every purchase of miles extends the end date of those and any unused miles by a further 6 months up to a maximum of 3 years from the date you ordered the last lot.

I currently have supercharging miles set to expire in October 2026 - ie over 2 years away which is what I'm basing the above on..

If this thread reads a bit disjointed it's because I've merged two threads

I've a number of referrals over the years including since they reintroduced them nearly a year ago and it has been consistent

They last for 12 months.
When new points get added, those plus any that are still valid all have their end date extended to the new date ie 12 months time

Supercharging miles last for 6 months irrespecitve of how long the referral points have left, so long as they have not expired when the miles were bought.
You can buy miles on the last valid day of the points and you'll still get 6 months
Every purchase of miles extends the end date of those and any unused miles by a further 6 months up to a maximum of 3 years from the date you ordered the last lot.

I currently have supercharging miles set to expire in October 2026 - ie over 2 years away which is what I'm basing the above on..

Thanks for that.

So if after month 5 I purchase more miles, do all miles then expire on month 11?

Secondly, do you know if I earn more points from say referring a test drive, does that also extend my current points for another 12 months?

Thanks for that.

So if after month 5 I purchase more miles, do all miles then expire on month 11?

Secondly, do you know if I earn more points from say referring a test drive, does that also extend my current points for another 12 months?
On the miles, yes, thats what happened to me, but you could also buy them now and they'd expire on month 11. The limit appears to be 36 months.

The test drive is the only one I'm not sure about as I can't say from personal experience, but if I was a betting man I would say it would restart the 12 month clock for all unspent points.

They last for 12 months.

So with my 15,000 points if I purchased 3000 miles on day 1, 2 and 3 I’d get 18 months?

@Pagemakers
It’s available in the app. Maybe only available in certain countries though.

IMG_0970.png