Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini wheels: avoid aero cap install/removal damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY7, did a high end ceramic coating on the Gemini wheels (I now know them in too close of detail). Noticed when I took the aero caps off (at <10 miles) there was some slight damage to the wheel spokes where the clips attach. I want to keep, and use, the caps for future roadtrips, but have them off when not tripping. I am concerned that any repeated install/removal cycles will cause additional damage to the wheels, which is minimal now. I want to keep it that way, is there any way to avoid more damage? Does driving with the caps on also cause damage from vibration, i.e. the more miles the more damage, or is it primarily from the on/off push/pull of the clips against the wheel spokes? Not sure there is a fix but figured I'd ask.

Mine are already scratched up a bit, and the wife prefers the look with the aero covers on, so not a problem for me... if I was worried about it I would put either electrical tape, or duct tape on the spoke areas the cover clamps onto. There will be tape residue, but it should come off fairly easily. I don't THINK this will cause problems with the cover clamping on, but I could be wrong.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Yankees