Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini wheel covers - A recommendation to end all others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 100,500 miles on my beloved 2019 M3, I traded in "The Tesla" today for a new MY. I'm actually writing this from the waiting room in the Tesla dealership, waiting for the registration and plates to be transferred. In the last few weeks, I have read A LOT of threads on Gemini wheel covers, but, I'm still feeling like I have not found the holy grail: covers that 1) look good, 2) don't reduce efficiency and 3) are relatively easy to remove when swapping out winters for all-season tires, and back.

On the first point, that's not really been an issue. To me, *anything* looks better than the Gemini wheel covers. I did LOVE my OEM Aero 18" wheel covers. Black and beautiful. I'm not picky about whatever cover I buy as virtually everything I have seen out there looks much better than the Geminis.

On the second point, it seems that most reduce efficiency and a few don't. Am I right about that? I drive a lot and efficiency matters to me. I don't need it to improve on the OEM covers, but I'd like to not lose anything.

Finally, I have found a few covers that seem to cover the first two bases, but then I read that they are very difficult to remove. That's no big deal for someone who never needs to remove them. But I live in Boston and I'll be removing them twice a year in the fall and the spring.

A nice-to-have is covering the whole wheel to prevent curb rash.

Can anyone recommend a cover that meets all my requirements? Cost is not an issue. I'd like to save money, but this is a long-term investment that is going on a $55,000 car. Don't need to save $100. Please help!

I tried to post a thread on my experience, comparing some generic covers from Amazon with Rimetrix Medusas. It seems to have gotten stuck in moderation limbo but here's the entire content—hope it helps!

Rimetrix vs. Amazon Wheel Covers

When I was looking for our Model Y there was no question that we wanted the 19” wheels—between the better range, more comfortable ride, lower cost of tires, and the condition of the roads we drive on made them the obvious choice. But I also knew I’d be getting new wheel covers ASAP.

After doing a bunch of research I still couldn’t decide between the Rimetrix Medusas and these covers from Amazon. The cost of the Amazon covers was appealing and I liked the looks of both but I also read a lot of positive reviews about the Rimetrix products. So, I bought a set of each to try them both in person.

Both sets arrived within a day of each other. The Amazon covers looked…fine. They were definitely made of thinner material than the OEM covers (which aside from the looks and the fact that they don’t cover the entire wheel are a quality product) so I had concerns about long-term durability. I also didn’t love the fact that they used metal clips to attach to the wheel which could lead to scratching (like the OEM covers). The packaging also was just OK, with fiber plastic sleeves around each cover and a layer of thin bubble wrap between each one.

The Rimetrix covers on the other hand are much thicker, and made of a different plastic that allegedly stands up better to impacts and temperature changes than the plain ABS the Amazon covers are made of. The Rimetrix covers use plastic clips to grip the wheel spokes, reducing the risk of scratching; the attachment method (clips plus the locking center cap) is much more secure; and the packing materials were more robust with thicker bubble wrap, a styrofoam sheet between each cover, and again fiber plastic sleeves around each cover (not a long-term issue but it shows an attention to detail). They’re made in the US too which I liked.

I also ended up liking the looks of the Medusas better. The Amazon covers once I got them on the car just looked out of scale to me (YMMV).

I did get center cap stickers with the Tesla logo to maintain an OEM-ish look on the Rimetrix. They’ve been on a couple of weeks through a snow storm and a couple of car washes and are holding up great so far. No pics because we’ve all seen plenty of MSM Model Ys with Medusas ;) But that’s my story. I do have a Rimetrix code that’s good thru the end of February 2024 but don’t want to clutter up the post with it so PM me if you want.

Hope this helps someone else with their decision!

They're all easy remove if you get a pair of these long reach pliers and go from the inside. Just squeeze the tabs you see. After you got one pulled, you can yank the rest.

IMG-1593.jpg

And these are the covers I got. I've had no issues with them. They have fewer spokes which symmetrically cover all the wheel spokes. They are easier to clean. The center caps are stick on and come in white or red.

Before and after....

47-F80-B8-E-DFC8-4-C90-B585-FA2-CD7-E32-B1-F.jpg

163-F0-B31-8-CC8-4-D60-82-ED-C2045-BE0-AAF9.jpg

I bought Rimetrix Medusa wheel covers because they have a two-step locking system and are made in the USA. The center cap does have to be removed before taking the covers off, but a small flat-bladed screwdriver does the job. I consider that a security feature. They are very good quality and completely noise free, unlike many others. One of my better buying decisions.

Reactions: jddaigle
The reviews are pretty bad
I haven't had any issues. I applied the foam tape around it like instructed. They clicked for a little bit, but eventually wore in and the noise went away. I've removed and replaced doing wheel rotations. They're on pretty tight, so I use long reach pliers to release the first set of clips from the inside, before yanking. They do not get dirty easily as some state. It's not like you're getting brake dust anway. I wash them with a long handled brush that does the job very quickly.

After 100,500 miles on my beloved 2019 M3, I traded in "The Tesla" today for a new MY. I'm actually writing this from the waiting room in the Tesla dealership, waiting for the registration and plates to be transferred. In the last few weeks, I have read A LOT of threads on Gemini wheel covers, but, I'm still feeling like I have not found the holy grail: covers that 1) look good, 2) don't reduce efficiency and 3) are relatively easy to remove when swapping out winters for all-season tires, and back.

On the first point, that's not really been an issue. To me, *anything* looks better than the Gemini wheel covers. I did LOVE my OEM Aero 18" wheel covers. Black and beautiful. I'm not picky about whatever cover I buy as virtually everything I have seen out there looks much better than the Geminis.

On the second point, it seems that most reduce efficiency and a few don't. Am I right about that? I drive a lot and efficiency matters to me. I don't need it to improve on the OEM covers, but I'd like to not lose anything.

Finally, I have found a few covers that seem to cover the first two bases, but then I read that they are very difficult to remove. That's no big deal for someone who never needs to remove them. But I live in Boston and I'll be removing them twice a year in the fall and the spring.

A nice-to-have is covering the whole wheel to prevent curb rash.

Can anyone recommend a cover that meets all my requirements? Cost is not an issue. I'd like to save money, but this is a long-term investment that is going on a $55,000 car. Don't need to save $100. Please help!
If you don't want to skimp, then consider aerodynamic rims instead of plastic hubcaps. 19x8.5" TSVs will save you from curb rash as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Iron
I must have missed it but which covers are these Iron? They look great. I've stayed away from Medusa because of the center caps.
Those are the same ones I reviewed and returned to Amazon. They do look good on @Iron’s car which is one of the reasons I tried them but I ended up liking the Medusas better. But that’s the nice thing about ordering from Amazon, you can try and return with no penalty except your time. Not sure what Rimetrix’s return policy is but I ended up not needing to know.

If you don't want to skimp, then consider aerodynamic rims instead of plastic hubcaps. 19x8.5" TSVs will save you from curb rash as well.
Well, what I meant was, I'll spend $300 to get what I want, vs. $125 cheapos on Amazon with trade-offs. $1,700 on new rims would probably buy me a divorce!

I haven't had any issues. I applied the foam tape around it like instructed. They clicked for a little bit, but eventually wore in and the noise went away. I've removed and replaced doing wheel rotations. They're on pretty tight, so I use long reach pliers to release the first set of clips from the inside, before yanking. They do not get dirty easily as some state. It's not like you're getting brake dust anway. I wash them with a long handled brush that does the job very quickly.
Several of the reviewers on amazon claimed that they were really noisy…like crunching plastic bottles

So you're saying buy those for $1700, get awesome wheels that look great and don't have rims that stick out for curb rash, put my existing OEM tires on those wheels, and then sell the OEM wheels? Not a bad idea. How much did you get for your Geminis on CL? Mine have 75 miles on them.

Reactions: Noflash
So you're saying buy those for $1700, get awesome wheels that look great and don't have rims that stick out for curb rash, put my existing OEM tires on those wheels, and then sell the OEM wheels? Not a bad idea. How much did you get for your Geminis on CL? Mine have 75 miles on them.
Don't believe that you won't curb the wheels. All wheels can and do get curbed with the right angle/ force.

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash and mborkow