Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Convertible What would you like to see ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not see a topic on this so I thought I would add one !!

Some of this may be a repeat from other threads. I will be replacing my 3 Series Convertible in 2017 or so and right now the only possible competition for me seems to be the Gen 3.

Here is what I would like to see. Most of which I see as a top of the line model. NOT base model.

Hardtop Convertible
A true 5 seat car (5 adults in comfort)
Range in excess of 200 miles in real life experience
0-60 < 4 sec.
$60,000 - $70,000

Luxury amenities including:

Active Cruise Control
Lane Departure Warning
Drowsy Driver Warning
Active collision avoidance
blind spot warning
Real-Time Navigation
Super Charger access
Self Parking
360 degree view Camera System
Parking sensors
Full Color Heads-up Display
Cornering Headlights (turn with the car not cornering lamps that come on)
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated and Cooled seats for at least Driver and hopefully all 5 seats
Remote Top activated via key fob
Rain Sensor to close top if rain/sprinkler starts to hit the car
Electronic Folding Side Mirrors

Falcon Doors on a Coupe/Convertible type car might be kinda cool :)

And, of course, an awesome design. Which could either be very classical and last forever style or could be very ground breaking but in either case should be classy. I am really hoping for ground breaking but not too radical. Should definitely have a sense of motion while standing still.

What have I forgotten ? Please no comments on how all this stuff is a waste of time and money. I am looking for a loaded car with all the bells and whistles. Please add to my dreams so that Tesla has something inspiring to shoot for .....

Last edited:
If it weren't for the seat 5 adults comfortably, I'd say wait for the next roadster. Either way I'd be surprised if you could get all that for under 70k. I mean the MSP is like 100k and doesn't have most of the features you'd like and does 0-60 >4s...

One more thought I doubt some of those luxury features will ever make it to Gen III. Perhaps an updated version of the Model S... Would you consider an updated version of Model S in 2017 if it ticked all the boxes on your wishlist?

I would like a 2 seater with a ragtop that leaves no obstruction behind the seats like the Tesla roadster. I would also like it larger and more comfortable than the Tesla roadster. The air suspension would allow easier entry and exit with a high position. My Corvette convertible was very comfortable once seated. It wasn't so easy entering and exiting the convertible. The air suspension could be a real advantage.

If it weren't for the seat 5 adults comfortably, I'd say wait for the next roadster. Either way I'd be surprised if you could get all that for under 70k. I mean the MSP is like 100k and doesn't have most of the features you'd like and does 0-60 >4s...

One more thought I doubt some of those luxury features will ever make it to Gen III. Perhaps an updated version of the Model S... Would you consider an updated version of Model S in 2017 if it ticked all the boxes on your wishlist?

I want at least a 2+2 not a Roadster. And No I would not consider a MS. Too Big for me. Feel like Goldilocks :) MSP is a LOT heavier than the Gen3 will be so I hope that helps get the 0-60 down a bit. And the battery should be a bit lighter by then both with chemistry and size. MSP is only 4.2 0-60 so not that far away really. I would like to see 3.5 sec but would settle for sub 4.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like a 2 seater with a ragtop that leaves no obstruction behind the seats like the Tesla roadster. I would also like it larger and more comfortable than the Tesla roadster. The air suspension would allow easier entry and exit with a high position. My Corvette convertible was very comfortable once seated. It wasn't so easy entering and exiting the convertible. The air suspension could be a real advantage.

They have already said they are going to do anew Roadster too right ?

Last edited:

Why would the luxury items not make it into Gen 3 .... I don't see why they would not have a Gen 3 that had all options available for Model S .... just charge for them .... I think the Gen 3 will capture a lot of the crowd in Europe that could afford a MS but do not want a car so big. Same goes for people in the States but it seems to be more of an issue in Europe.

Why would the luxury items not make it into Gen 3 .... I don't see why they would not have a Gen 3 that had all options available for Model S .... just charge for them .... I think the Gen 3 will capture a lot of the crowd in Europe that could afford a MS but do not want a car so big. Same goes for people in the States but it seems to be more of an issue in Europe.

And if TM wants to play with the big boys (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc.) it is going to have to have most of those options if not all.

And as one poster in Japan pointed out size is a huge issue there.

I don't see any reason why Tesla wouldn't have an optioned-up high performance Gen 3 available, unless they don't have the necessary improvements in battery tech to get it in a compact. I happen to be at the other end from the OP, and just would want cruise control*a/c and a cold weather package including a heat pump.. Perform like a Prius, but with added EV grin (instant response, smooth and quiet drivetrain).

I do not doubt that Tesla is working on adding the other features of luxury cars, because every one that's missing loses sales, and when it gets to Gen 3 it'll be trying to go beyond the forgiving customers,

* to keep my wife happy; I used the cruise for the first time in so long on Tuesday morning that I forgot exactly how it worked.

And if TM wants to play with the big boys (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc.) it is going to have to have most of those options if not all.

None of those options were available on my 2011 BMW 335d except maybe parking sensors... That is the only reason I said I doubted that all those features would make it in. That, and they are not available on Model S now. Batteries will need to *seriously* drop in price for all the bells and whistles to be included.

None of those options were available on my 2011 BMW 335d except maybe parking sensors... That is the only reason I said I doubted that all those features would make it in. That, and they are not available on Model S now. Batteries will need to *seriously* drop in price for all the bells and whistles to be included.

They are all options on the new 3 and 4 series cars for 2014. MS was great for the early adopters but if they truly want to compete with BMW, Mercedes and Audi they have to get past the forgiving early adopters and measure up with the general public. I hope they do !!

Additionally I just checked and they all seem to be available on the Audi S5 and the Mercedes C63 AMG. And all 3 top out price wise about $70K, though the M3 might be more but I could not seem to price that and it will change when the new M is introduced probably next year.

Additionally I just checked and they all seem to be available on the Audi S5 and the Mercedes C63 AMG. And all 3 top out price wise about $70K, though the M3 might be more but I could not seem to price that and it will change when the new M is introduced probably next year.

Geez, Kevin, I'm pretty sure the BMW, Audi, and Merc do NOT have super charger access...

Kidding aside, in the Model S's class (7 series BMW, Mercedes S, Jag XJ, etc.) the Tesla car is sales leader since it began shipping... and without all of the "features" of the other cars. Why? I think because many of those "features" are incremental technology improvements that are easily replicated and added to any car, whereas the Model S represents a step change technology innovation in so many ways that the absence of a few of these features doesn't hurt sales. If someone values the Tesla step change, then they are not doing the feature by feature checklist, they're just buying the S because it is the only choice for them. It's just not a competitive sale.

Question is: what will motivate gen III buyers? Will they also be "step change" buyers, or will Tesla be in commodity game and subject to competition and the incremental technology checklist?

From the reaction I've gotten since I've had my Model S, I think that a reasonably priced gen III car with anything approaching the performance, range, etc. of the S will be gobbled up for a couple of years by people who want the step change. I predict a looong wait list. I've had a ton of friends who have said: "if there's a car like that available around 50k, I'm buying it in a heartbeat."

I don't want to urge Tesla to be blind to market... just to keep thinking "leader" and step change vs. incremental and "me too".

Geez, Kevin, I'm pretty sure the BMW, Audi, and Merc do NOT have super charger access...

Kidding aside, in the Model S's class (7 series BMW, Mercedes S, Jag XJ, etc.) the Tesla car is sales leader since it began shipping... and without all of the "features" of the other cars. Why? I think because many of those "features" are incremental technology improvements that are easily replicated and added to any car, whereas the Model S represents a step change technology innovation in so many ways that the absence of a few of these features doesn't hurt sales. If someone values the Tesla step change, then they are not doing the feature by feature checklist, they're just buying the S because it is the only choice for them. It's just not a competitive sale.

Question is: what will motivate gen III buyers? Will they also be "step change" buyers, or will Tesla be in commodity game and subject to competition and the incremental technology checklist?

From the reaction I've gotten since I've had my Model S, I think that a reasonably priced gen III car with anything approaching the performance, range, etc. of the S will be gobbled up for a couple of years by people who want the step change. I predict a looong wait list. I've had a ton of friends who have said: "if there's a car like that available around 50k, I'm buying it in a heartbeat."

I don't want to urge Tesla to be blind to market... just to keep thinking "leader" and step change vs. incremental and "me too".

Partially agree with you. But if those features are so easily duplicated and added to any car then why omit them ? Do we have to eliminate the old with a step change ? Why not the best of both worlds ? Good thoughts !! Keep 'em coming ....

B4D5C63A-A04F-4CF6-9BCC-496AEA20AD31.jpeg

Reactions: DOC52