Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector wont stop broadcasting SSID...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just installed a Gen 3 wall connector and the setup UI is working just fine... however I cant seem to get it to exit setup properly. It connects to my wifi, gets an IP and I can even visit the website from its internal IP address but there it only shows me the charger icon and the loading screen. The setup Wifi keeps broadcasting and its contiously accessible and i can continue to configure anything... has anyone seen this before? I tried to power off and back on but still the same!

Me too. I am pretty sure - guessing actually - this is related to the Power Sharing option that was enabled in version 21.18.1. My guess is the continuous broadcast is needed to allow Wall Connectors to talk to each other. I have not enabled power sharing so my guess this is by design.

Like you, I cannot log into the Wall Connect by simply connecting to the SSID, I have to either power cycle the Wall Connector or hold the button for 10-seconds to put it into an accessible mode.

I have the exact same issue!!!

My Gen3 updated itself to Firmware version 21.18.1 on July 2nd, and since then it has broadcasted it's SSID non-stop!

Previously, it would give a 5 minutes countdown with it's green blinking LED and then just hid it's SSID. Now, it won't hide it's network name anymore. The LED stops blinking but the Wall Connector's Wifi network is always available. I contacted Tesla at: [email protected] and they mentioned this is the new normal, as they have enabled the Power Sharing feature on Gen3's and this is the way the Wall Connectors comunicate with each other.

The thing is I don't have the Power Sharing feature on, and my Wall Connector is located a few feet away from a coffee shop window (granted, it's protected by its WAP2 password that only I have), but I don't want the Wall Connector broadcasting it's SSID all the time, especially if I don't have the Power Sharing setting turned on. :mad:

Tesla Wall Connector broadcasting its SSID is a security issue. Just need to drive around and look for the TeslaWallConnector_XXXXXX to determine which houses have a Tesla. No need to give out that info freely. Come on Tesla - put it back to the non-broadcasting SSID mode.
...or see what's parked on their driveway? Or look for a wall connector mounted outside? This really isn't a security issue since it seems access to the settings is still locked out unless you press and hold the button on the charger, which would normally turn on the wifi network anyway. I doubt anyone is going to go wardriving through their neighborhood for Tesla wall connectors.

It's an annoyance though and quite confusing, especially when the manual says the network is only enabled for a few minutes. It can give some people the impression that the wall connector might not be working correctly.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Yeah so mine just stays on... this whole time since i installed it... but its been working so I just left it alone
my green LED is constantly pulsing and broadcasting the SSID. Also the web site on the TWC is lame - no user instructions to follow, just some drop down boxes you have to figure out yourself. the manual implies you are prompted to complete the commissioning. didn't happen for me. Did I do something wrong ?