Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"It won't be a small Model S"...If this is true, does it mean they'll use the same Model S platform? How do they distinguish the $35K-$40K vs >$70K car? Cheap interior and much less features? Don't understand this..

I think that means it won't *look* like a small Model S. It will presumably also have it's own platform.

..If this is true, does it mean they'll use the same Model S platform?
No. It will have a new platform with a shorter battery enabling shorter wheelbase.
It means it wont just look like a small Model S (like A4 looks like a smaler A6 and A6 looks like a smaller A8) but it won't be a completely different design wise.
Still, there will be some family resemblance.

That is still forcing change on buyers. You are already asking that of them for buying an electric car. You start pushing for more and there will be blowback.

I still contend that mass market means you need to appeal to as many people as possible. If you go too extreme you will alienate segments of the buying public that you want to actually buy the car.

Leave the falcon doors for the Model E crossover just like they did for the Model X.

Like Apple did with the phone when they added *a computer* and made it a smart phone. People quit buying iPhones in droves.

When there is an obvious improvement, people buy it. It may not be obvious to you, yet....

No. It will have a new platform with a shorter battery enabling shorter wheelbase.
It means it wont just look like a small Model S (like A4 looks like a smaler A6 and A6 looks like a smaller A8) but it won't be a completely different design wise.

I expect a resemblance. There seems to be some contradiction on the Model E looks. Elon has clearly said on a number of occasions that the Model E will be a smaller version of the Model S. 20% to 25% smaller to be exact. It is only recently that Franz has disagreed with this. I would tend to go with Franz over Elon for the following reasons:

Elon talked about the Model E looks about six months ago when he said it was a smaller version of the S.
Franz comments are much more recent and he is the designer.
They weren't doing a lot with the Model E until Tesla was at full production on the S. (Some Elon interview a while back mentioned this.)
Most of the R & D work on the Model X is probably complete by now which frees up those resources for the E.

That's my reasoning on the subject.

There seems to be some contradiction on the Model E looks. Elon has clearly said on a number of occasions that the Model E will be a smaller version of the Model S. 20% to 25% smaller to be exact. It is only recently that Franz has disagreed with this.

Elon is an engineer, Franz is a designer. That is all you need to know to reconcile their statements.

Correct, as it will be a new platform, according to this presentation from JBS at the 20:50 point in the deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJuKTmtHjY

This is exciting in that it might have a different look than a smaller Model S and should distinguish itself amongst it's competitors...if there are any at launch.

Some thoughts on if this is truly a new platform (I'm getting asked these questions from my friends who are really interested in GenIII):

1. Will it be aluminum? Most likely as it would be a gamble to go for carbon fiber or switch to steel
2. Will the battery be in the floor? Most likely as it is really efficient packaging and does not pose a safety risk
3. Will it have a frunk or will it be FWD? Most likely as it would greatly reduce the cargo space to put the motor up front as having it on the rear axle is well understood with tight packaging
4. Will it seat 5? Pretty sure if not more
5. Will it have falcon doors? Maybe, but depends on the success of the X beta, engineering cost and overall reception of the tech I would assume
6. Will it be a hatchback or wagon? Maybe wagon as it could prove more aerodynamic and increase cargo space and might be more attractive.
7. Will it have tiny wheels? Maybe, but again it will be a balance between beauty, function and value
6. Will it have a big screen, extending handles, camera's instead of mirrors, HUD, voice control, self driving....yata yata yata? Ugh, let's just wait for NAIAS 2015...

My take on your thoughts:
1. Will it be aluminum? Definitely. The main reason: they already have and know the tech.
2. Will the battery be in the floor? Yes, because there is no reason not to put it there and because there is no better place to put it.
3. Will it have a frunk or will it be FWD? This one is not such a definite Yes! It might be FWD, it might be RWD. It might use the same front motor as in MX or get its own drive unit. Why do anything of this is known only to tesla. If they try to reduce the cost, they will reuse MX front motor and make it FWD. FWD does not cancel out frunk.
4. Will it seat 5? It will seat 5 and no more.
5. Will it have falcon doors? No. It will be regular 'hatch', same as MS.
6. Will it be a hatchback or wagon? I'd bet on hatchback, wagon later. I doubt they would only do wagon.
7. Will it have tiny wheels? Tiny as in narrow? No. Will it have smaller wheels than MS? Yes. I'd bet 18" will be standard, maybe even 17". Price is the driving factor here.
6. Will it have a big screen, extending handles, camera's instead of mirrors, HUD, voice control, self driving....yata yata yata? It will have a big screen, if nothing else because it became a Tesla trademark. It may not be 17", maybe only 15" :)
Extending handles? I'd guess no. Cameras instead of mirrors? No. HUD? Possibly a part of tech package, base model no. Voice control? Probably as this is becoming standard feature of car radios. Self driving? No.
yata yata yata? I'm sure it will have at least one cool distinct feature. Maybe just a frunk, maybe wireless charging, maybe xyz. Whatever it is, it will be kinda a cheap but still cool and distinctive thing. I'd bet on frunk.

Hello all,
When do you think we will be able to make a reservation and place a deposit for model E? Will it be just after a reveal of the design (clay model), or further along in the process (prototypes)? What conclusions can we make, if any, based on the model S history?

Or will Tesla perhaps take a different approach and just sell Model E straight up when it's ready with no reservations/deposits ahead of time?

And in the same vein, do you think there will be signature/perf/perf+ or just a basic model with a couple of options like tech/battery size.

Well, that was a few questions. We can perhaps just speculate and take wild guesses at this point, but there is no harm in that, right :)

Hello all,
When do you think we will be able to make a reservation and place a deposit for model E? Will it be just after a reveal of the design (clay model), or further along in the process (prototypes)? What conclusions can we make, if any, based on the model S history?

Or will Tesla perhaps take a different approach and just sell Model E straight up when it's ready with no reservations/deposits ahead of time?

And in the same vein, do you think there will be signature/perf/perf+ or just a basic model with a couple of options like tech/battery size.

Well, that was a few questions. We can perhaps just speculate and take wild guesses at this point, but there is no harm in that, right :)

We should see the pre-production prototype in early 2015. This will be similar to the Model X prototype that has been seen for the last year and a half. Tesla will likely throw a big party introducing the prototype and some of its unique features. Again just like they did for the Model X. You will be able to place a reservation for the car at the party and everyone else gets to place theirs starting the next day.

Read through this thread (and others in this area) for speculations. There are extreme speculations at each end of the spectrum. I expect the truth and what will actually happen to fall somewhere in the middle.

There will be reservations and deposits.

There will be Signatures. How many we do not know. There will be performance versions and battery options available from day 1. Performance + will probably come along later just like it did for the Model S.

I expect Tesla to stick with what works for them, and what I listed has worked very well for them.

And welcome to the club, Ubbe.

Correct, as it will be a new platform, according to this presentation from JBS at the 20:50 point in the deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJuKTmtHjY

This is exciting in that it might have a different look than a smaller Model S and should distinguish itself amongst it's competitors...if there are any at launch.

Some thoughts on if this is truly a new platform (I'm getting asked these questions from my friends who are really interested in GenIII):

1. Will it be aluminum? Most likely as it would be a gamble to go for carbon fiber or switch to steel
Aluminum, cost has gone done in the past year and as WarpedOne said they know the tech. Gen4 will be carbon fiber
2. Will the battery be in the floor? Most likely as it is really efficient packaging and does not pose a safety risk
On the floor, definitely
3. Will it have a frunk or will it be FWD? Most likely as it would greatly reduce the cargo space to put the motor up front as having it on the rear axle is well understood with tight packaging
Yup a frunk. Will be RWD with FWD optional. Front motor will be smaller since the car is lighter and Tesla will shrink accordingly
4. Will it seat 5? Pretty sure if not more
5 it is, but it will be tight.
5. Will it have falcon doors? Maybe, but depends on the success of the X beta, engineering cost and overall reception of the tech I would assume
As much as I like the X Falcon Wings I think it will add complexity to the design and manufacturing. Complexity adds cost so regular doors.
6. Will it be a hatchback or wagon? Maybe wagon as it could prove more aerodynamic and increase cargo space and might be more attractive.
Hatchback. Styling advantage over wagon and styling to go head to head with the BMW series 3 is important. Besides it works just great in the Model S.
7. Will it have tiny wheels? Maybe, but again it will be a balance between beauty, function and value
17" or 18". What do you mean by tiny?
8. Will it have a big screen, extending handles, camera's instead of mirrors, HUD, voice control, self driving....yata yata yata? Ugh, let's just wait for NAIAS 2015...
15" screen, no on the extending door handles adds cost. Handles will still be flush and I bet Tesla will come up with a very sporty look. Mirrors not cameras. Cameras will first appear on Model S version 2. Again saves on cost
9. And I'll add an optional panoramic roof or cool sun roof.]

17" or 18". What do you mean by tiny?

I keep getting asked if the wheels will be 'tiny'. Some think Model E will be like the new Fiat or even smaller, maybe even 'thin' tires to decrease rolling friction/increase range.

I highly doubt that as I'd expect it to compete with a 3-series as stated by Elon and have a better performance curve around the track.