Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I would like to see a two door I'm fully expecting a four door.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it'll have great performance. How do you get a 200 mile range and cut costs significantly over the Model S while keeping the same performance?
A smaller, lighter vehicle can have similar performance with a smaller pack. Add in more advanced cells that are capable of higher C rates, not impossible, and it's a given. Example, A123 LiFePO4 cells have much higher C rates than other LiFePO4 cells with the same energy density. Also the new versions of the LiFePO4 cells that I used in my car now have higher C rates at the same energy density.

I don't think it'll have great performance. How do you get a 200 mile range and cut costs significantly over the Model S while keeping the same performance? My thought is that they might be able to use hybrid batteries (they have a patent).

I'm not expecting the base level Gen III to have spectacular numbers but part of the advantage of an EV is rapid acceleration. I'll bet the Gen III has a speed range of 0-60 in 4 seconds (performance version) to, at maximum, 7.5 seconds for the lowest priced version. I doubt Tesla will want anything faster than that because they need room to kill with the new Roadster.

I doubt they will be sandbagging GenIII performance. There will be different versions with different performance. Max performance might even exceed M85P at high price and less interior space. M3 is in some respects faster than M5.
New roadster will be AWD, a little bird told me ...

I doubt they will be sandbagging GenIII performance. There will be different versions with different performance. Max performance might even exceed M85P at high price and less interior space. M3 is in some respects faster than M5.
New roadster will be AWD, a little bird told me ...
M3 has better handling, but acceleration is still slower than the M5. M5's power to weight ratio is still better. I think a 4 second 0-60 is right on the dot. The 2014 M3 will take a bit longer than 4 seconds to 0-60.

I agree on AWD for the Roadster (at least as an option). It's only logical because it's going to be really tough to get sub-3 second 0-60 (as is now common in the supercar class) without AWD.

Hasn't Elon already publicly said, either in an interview or on Twitter, that Gen3 will have the best performance in its class (read: it will beat a BMW 3 series)? And I'm presuming it's an apples-to-apples comparison (i.e. M3 vs. Gen3 Performance)...

Hasn't Elon already publicly said, either in an interview or on Twitter, that Gen3 will have the best performance in its class (read: it will beat a BMW 3 series)? And I'm presuming it's an apples-to-apples comparison (i.e. M3 vs. Gen3 Performance)...

he compared it to the 3 series (size), not sure if he said anything about it being able to beat one, but im sure it will (the performance model that is)

whats the difference between a gen 111 engineering prototype alpha, and a gen 111 vehicle prototype beta, and is there a difference between a gen 111 vehicle prototype beta, and a gen 111 production vehicle?

How will the secondary offering affect Gen III? I think it will help accelerate it's timetable. The offering will put an extra $365 million into the coffers for future expenditures.

I'm hoping we're back on for 2015.

I'm dreaming. I know. C'mon Tesla and Elon, make my dreams come true!

How will the secondary offering affect Gen III? I think it will help accelerate it's timetable. The offering will put an extra $365 million into the coffers for future expenditures.

Yes you are dreaming:smile: Hoping that Chris Porritt new VP of Vehicle Engineering puts some of that money into accelerating development.
However, the timeline may be more dependent on improved batteries so the wait may be well worth it.

Yes you are dreaming:smile: Hoping that Chris Porritt new VP of Vehicle Engineering puts some of that money into accelerating development.
However, the timeline may be more dependent on improved batteries so the wait may be well worth it.

Elon has said that there are some new improvements in batteries that he knows about. It was a recent interview and I believe he said the improvements were startling or something like that...

Elon has said that there are some new improvements in batteries that he knows about. It was a recent interview and I believe he said the improvements were startling or something like that...

It will take 2 years between the Model S and Model X and that is on the same platform. Even with new exciting improvements in batteries they still need to develop a new platform. And then you have to design the car, build an alpha and then a beta prototype. I just don't see this happening in time to begin deliveries in 2015. Orders in 2015 sure. Hope I am wrong but so far Tesla's track record on meeting dates is less than stellar .

I am just curious if the GEN3 will be out before the stock hits $200/share because I will be in the market for a new Tesla by then :)

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the success of Gen III will cause the stock to go way up. Gen III will probably not be considered a success when the first car gets delivered. The market will probably consider it a success when it reaches full production rate and full margins. The Model S should reach full margins by Q4 2013, which is one and a half years after the first car was delivered. So maybe wait one and a half years after Gen III comes out, then sell your stock, and buy a Gen III*. Also note that one and a half years is also a good number because by then all bugs should be worked out, and any minor desired options should be available.

*I am not an expert on stocks, I'm just writing what I think makes sense.

I'm dying for a Gen III as well but don't expect it until 2016-2017 even with the new capital raise.

The Model X is slated to be released at the end of 2014. I remember Elon has said Gen III will come 3-4 years after Model X. Another place I remember he said 3-4 years from now. That would put it sometime between 2016-2018. And would give about 4-6 years between the Model S and Gen III - enough time to take advantage of new battery technology and lower costs.

I really hope they push it and show us a prototype by the end of 2014 and release in 2016.

Last edited: