Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Powerwalls without solar (PG&E)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on PG&E without solar. I am getting two Tesla Powerwall 2's installed for free under SGIP Equity Resiliency program (high risk fire zone + medical baseline).

Is EV2-A rate the best rate for someone with Powerwalls without solar, so I can charge Powerwalls during off-peak hours for like 16 cents and don't pull any energy from the grid during the peak/semi-peak hours (3pm-12am)?

(I have a Model 3 so I'm eligible for EV2-A rate, but I'm currently on E-1 rate)

Also, I assumed that I won't be able to do net metering since I don't have solar (i.e., I can't charge Powerwalls during off-peak and then send any extra unused energy back to the grid during peak hours). But then I saw this from East Bay Community Energy, which says "Homeowners can also opt to share the power stored in their batteries with EBCE during times when the grid is operating normally, but there is high energy usage occurring throughout Alameda County" so maybe it is possible to send energy back to the grid even without solar?

Thanks!

I did a bit of researched on this topic this several months ago when we got our Powerwalls (without solar, also in the SF Bay Area) and the EV2-A rate is the cheapest that I could find that made sense for our usage. The EV-B plan has slightly cheaper rates between 11pm and 7am the next morning, but PG&E recommends this plan to customers who want a separate meter for charging an EV.

Something else to consider in the Bay Area: Over the past few weeks we've had our Powerwalls go into storm watch mode for several days at a time, which means we were pulling grid power during peak. I generally expect this to happen every year during the fire season.

Our primary reason for getting the Powerwalls is to keep the refrigerator running during planned outages, which will likely result in us turning off breakers to most of the house to preserve energy. Secondarily, we are happy to reduce load on the grid during peak hours.

By the way, of I'm remembering correctly, the Powerwalls by themselves quality you for the EV2-A rate.

Reactions: notsure11
regarding that east bay community "send power to us when there is high usage on the grid", you likely want to take a look at the following thread for what happened to someone else who was in one of those "demand sharing" type plans:

Connected Solutions National Grid

Not in CA but same difference.

TL ; DR version ... the person in this thread had the demand setup draining his powerwalls during a time when they actually would need the power, with no control over stopping it themselves. I would think LOOONG and hard about signing up for any sort of plan that drains your powerwalls to "help the grid" when you are getting them to help yourself due to medical baseline power needs.

As for rates, I dont know PGE rate structures but you will likely want to sign up for a plan that has overnight cheap electricity so you can charge overnight, and then avoid peak electricity usage during peak time.