Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting solar along with my EV - is 4000kwh year enough for 12k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been posting whatever pops up in my head as I have a 23 MY on order and will be delivered in a couple weeks. I'm also going solar at the same time.. The solar company gave me 4000kwh/year for the Y and the mileage estimate is between 12k to 15k. Total production is just over 15,000kwh. Do you think this is enough? Obviously a lot of it depends on my foot but for the most part, I'd drive for efficiency. most of this mileage is highway commute in traffic. Thanks!

Been posting whatever pops up in my head as I have a 23 MY on order and will be delivered in a couple weeks. I'm also going solar at the same time.. The solar company gave me 4000kwh/year for the Y and the mileage estimate is between 12k to 15k. Total production is just over 15,000kwh. Do you think this is enough? Obviously a lot of it depends on my foot but for the most part, I'd drive for efficiency. most of this mileage is highway commute in traffic. Thanks!

Get as much solar as you can get permitted for, and will fit on your roof, provided you can get the solar company to do the interconnect under NEM 2.0. People never use less energy when they get solar, they always use more than they thought they would. what system size is that? 9.6kW or something?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Get as much solar as you can get permitted for, and will fit on your roof, provided you can get the solar company to do the interconnect under NEM 2.0. People never use less energy when they get solar, they always use more than they thought they would. what system size is that? 9.6kW or something?
yup 9.6kw system. the only thing is our usage will go down eventually. We have 2 kids, 6 and 11, we have two grandparents living in the granny flat in the back we built and permitted. You get the idea... I can go bigger but I also don't want to just get wholesale credit in the end of the year.

the only thing is our usage will go down eventually.

It generally doesnt, though. Once people get solar and start driving EVs they dont tend to go back. Im not saying you will have Teslas for the rest of your driving days, but once you get solar and an EV you will likely have another EV of some type or other. The grandparents / granny flat I get, but if you stay in that house, you will likely either rent it out, or the kids will one day move back into that granny flat to save for a house.

You will start looking at electric dryers, induction rangetops, heat pump hybrid heating, etc (lol)....

I get the "I dont want wholesale pricing" at the end of the year thing, but electricity rates are going up, they are not coming back down (at least not in CA).

Shrug.. (note that I am also the tesla energy subforum moderator so my opinion is likely biased, by my own experiences and what I have seen happen).

Anyway, I dont have an answer on the 4000kWh / Year thing cause math isnt my strong point, although someone else here will likely know what that calculation is.

You should be fine on your energy usage. What climate do you live in? Even if fairly cold I would count on around 270Wh/mi over the course of a full year. So 12,000-15,000 miles driven translates into 3.2 to 4.0 MWh. If you live in a mild area with stable temps (S Ca) it could be better than that. If you live in a harsh environment with huge temp swings (North Dakota) then probably more. There's always phantom drain to account for too but that can be kept to minimum if you don't use Sentry or Cabin Overheat excessively.

Last edited:
It generally doesnt, though. Once people get solar and start driving EVs they dont tend to go back. Im not saying you will have Teslas for the rest of your driving days, but once you get solar and an EV you will likely have another EV of some type or other. The grandparents / granny flat I get, but if you stay in that house, you will likely either rent it out, or the kids will one day move back into that granny flat to save for a house.

You will start looking at electric dryers, induction rangetops, heat pump hybrid heating, etc (lol)....

I get the "I dont want wholesale pricing" at the end of the year thing, but electricity rates are going up, they are not coming back down (at least not in CA).

Shrug.. (note that I am also the tesla energy subforum moderator so my opinion is likely biased, by my own experiences and what I have seen happen).

Anyway, I dont have an answer on the 4000kWh / Year thing cause math isnt my strong point, although someone else here will likely know what that calculation is.
Rumor has it that sienna 24 will have a plug in variant. If true, we might get that! Our current 17 sienna is just too thirsty! You're probably right, once you go solar, you might get rid of all the gas stuff! I'll go bigger!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
yup 9.6kw system. the only thing is our usage will go down eventually. We have 2 kids, 6 and 11, we have two grandparents living in the granny flat in the back we built and permitted. You get the idea... I can go bigger but I also don't want to just get wholesale credit in the end of the year.
We have an 11kW system and I wish I had gotten more ;)

However our climate isn't super amazing for solar. When I am charging our vehicles I have to turn down the amps so I don't draw from the grid (only reach peak for production for 2-3 hrs).

Reactions: E46M3
You should be fine on your energy usage. What climate do you live in? Even if fairly cold I would count on around 270Wh/mi over the course of a full year. So 12,000-15,000 miles driven translates into 3.2 to 4.0 MWh. If you live in a mild area with stable temps (S Ca) it could be better than that. If you live in a harsh environment with huge temp swings (North Dakota) then probably more. There's always phantom drain to account for too but that can be kept to minimum if you don't use Sentry or Cabin Overheat excessively.
I'm in socal so ideal for solar! Thanks for the insight!

I second @jjrandorin that you should get as much as will fit on your roof (that has good exposure), before NEM 3 takes effect on a few months. I’ve had a 10kW system for just over a year, and I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on 3-6 more panels that I can get grandfathered under NEM 2.0. If you’re like me, you’ll find that your home AC will be the largest variable in your annual consumption. Rather than ending up with excess wholesale sold to the utility, you’ll adjust your comfort level on your thermostat. Also, remember that you loose a small percentage of your production over the 20-30 years of the panels’ lifetimes, while costs will no doubt be going up. Better a little over now than a little under later.