Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ghost cars" jumping all over the place...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my M3 for a couple of days, and today was the first time I took it on the interstate since sensor calibration finished. The little "ghost cars" that are drawn around my car jump around a lot though..."swerving" into my lane, sometimes violently...if they accurately represented where the real cars were, I would have been in 10 accidents today. It was much worse this morning when it was still dark, but it was still happening on the drive home in daylight.

I don't recall this happening in my test drives. Is this normal, and more drive time will resolve it as the sensors get "better"? (Does that even happen?) Or should I call service? Autopilot seemed to work fine, but it doesn't really instill much confidence that the Tesla actually knows where the surrounding cars actually are...

It seems better in 42.2 than in 39.7.

Tons better. I started with even earlier version than 39.7 and it was horrible. Cars around will morph like Transformers. Truck will morph into car and back. Motorcycle will change into car and back. And yes, car would go way into your lane (or disappear) when it pass right next to you. I think because it went into a blind spot between cameras.

This morning, the cars (on 42.2) were very solid. No more jittery or teleporting. But cars still sometime disappear when they are at the side.