Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2023 stopped working with electrical failure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my MY LR 2023 on December 1, the car gave a message of electrical failure and only less than 2 minutes to park safely, luckily I was on a local road. The car got towed to the Tesla service center and they discovered that the front inverter had too much current running through which caused the fuse to blow they replaced the inverter. Even though I was frustrated I understood that this can happen to any car even though I have not experienced this with other ICE cars. I drove another 2 months and the same thing happened last Friday, with only a minute to drive the car to a safe location. The car is towed to the local service center. I am looking for some advice and help here. I am a Tesla superfan, but this experience has shattered my confidence in the product. The worst is the safety issue, if this happens on an interstate and I only have 2 minutes to drive to safety not sure I can do that. I am terrified to drive this vehicle on the interstate. I want to know what are my options, I would like Tesla to replace this car as it seems like a faulty vehicle, I have reported the safety concern to NHSA. I am trying to find a Tesla support number where I can talk to someone personally but the only number I have is 1-877-7983752, where I can't get hold of a human and it's all automated responses. Do I need to engage a lawyer? I am just lost and don't know how to proceed forwardsAlso, for all Tesla fanboys who wanted to bash me for my first post complaining about problems with Tesla, save yourself for another thread. I am reporting to seek help and make others aware of the quality issues with Tesla vehicles.
IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_5112.jpeg
IMG_5113.jpeg
IMG_4454.jpeg

Sorry to hear this. But my buddy's Honda 2022 Odyssey would do this constantly, and has a stack of recalls (actual mechanical recalls) from Honda.

Unfortunately mechanical things happen, and in this case Tesla is not immune. This should all be covered under warranty, ask for a replacement motor or something.

Reactions: android04
I'm gonna give you some tough love. . . .

It sucks. I sympathize, But get over it. Literally every manufacturer has had issues with new cars. Every. Single. One. (I can't count the number of Merc Benz or BMWs I've seen broken down on the shoulder of the interstate). So there's really no way you're gonna avoid this kind of thing regardless of any other car you might buy if you dump the Tesla. Your fear is not really rational, It's emotionally based, which is understandable given what happened. But if you had the exact same issue on an interstate you could have just pulled onto the shoulder and you would have been safe, or at least out of traffic.

There is no reason to think that the entire car is somehow tainted just because it had a bad inverter. Tesla is not going to replace the car just because it's new. A lawyer would be a waste of money and he'll probably tell you so when you explain the situation. They honored the warranty and that's what they're supposed to do. Calling them won't get you a new car. You're nowhere near the lemon law eligibility. If you keep having problems with the car, you may be able to go down that route, but you're not there yet.

If you were under the impression that your money was going to buy you a perfect vehicle, well, my friend, you need to adjust your expectations.

I understand other cars have it, but Tesla only gives you a minute to park your car safely, and if a problem keeps recurring then it's a big safety hazard for me and my family. Every day while driving I have to keep in mind that it can stop at any time and I should be able to pull over, not sure thats why you buy a new car.

I understand other cars have it, but Tesla only gives you a minute to park your car safely, and if a problem keeps recurring then it's a big safety hazard for me and my family. Every day while driving I have to keep in mind that it can stop at any time and I should be able to pull over, not sure thats why you buy a new car.
This could happen with literally any car. Blown engines, transmissions, etc. can stop a car dead in its tracks. Go on other forums and you'll see these problems have happened with brand new cars. I don't think there's any evidence that it's more or less likely with a Tesla.

As for the problem recurring, that's a different scenario. IF it happens then you go from there. It doesn't seem from your posts that it has. You're just overly worried that it might happen. Any number of bad things might happen that are statistically more likely than you being put in jeopardy by your Tesla again very soon. You don't seem to be worried about those things. Ask yourself why that is.

Last edited:
Calm down, take a deep breath. Your vehicle will get repaired. Could be a bad batch of parts that can happen to any product.
Perhaps you are too young to remember exploding Ford Pintos, Chevrolet Corvair's that were unsafe at any speed, and Audi's that accelerated into swimming pools after going thru garage walls.

I bought my MY LR 2023 on December 1, the car gave a message of electrical failure and only less than 2 minutes to park safely, luckily I was on a local road. The car got towed to the Tesla service center and they discovered that the front inverter had too much current running through which caused the fuse to blow they replaced the inverter. Even though I was frustrated I understood that this can happen to any car even though I have not experienced this with other ICE cars. I drove another 2 months and the same thing happened last Friday, with only a minute to drive the car to a safe location. The car is towed to the local service center. I am looking for some advice and help here. I am a Tesla superfan, but this experience has shattered my confidence in the product. The worst is the safety issue, if this happens on an interstate and I only have 2 minutes to drive to safety not sure I can do that. I am terrified to drive this vehicle on the interstate. I want to know what are my options, I would like Tesla to replace this car as it seems like a faulty vehicle, I have reported the safety concern to NHSA. I am trying to find a Tesla support number where I can talk to someone personally but the only number I have is 1-877-7983752, where I can't get hold of a human and it's all automated responses. Do I need to engage a lawyer? I am just lost and don't know how to proceed forwardsAlso, for all Tesla fanboys who wanted to bash me for my first post complaining about problems with Tesla, save yourself for another thread. I am reporting to seek help and make others aware of the quality issues with Tesla vehicles.View attachment 1017630View attachment 1017631View attachment 1017632 View attachment 1017629

You have to be firm (not rude nor threatening) and insists on speaking to the upper management, may be first try to find someone in the SC to help and raise your concerns or request for a buyback, an ally will help you in a long way. Lemon law usually has provisions on how many times the problem has occurred and whether it is fixed within certain period of time, you will need to do homework as each state is different before calling it a lemon. NHTSA probably won't address your concerns in any time soon. If you are still not comfortable with the fixed vehicle which I fully understand, then selling it is the last resort.. yes it sucks.

Reactions: zoomer0056
My friend's odyssey literally STALLS, you literally have no power, GG. Everything goes out, you're on your own.

My alternator gave out speeding down highway 101 on my way to work about 20 years ago; First my Valentine 1 went out. Then I realized everything else was wrong too…all gauges went to zero and all the lights on my dash light up like a Christmas tree. I had to get through 4 lanes of traffic w/o power: scary!

Your only option is to let them fix it under warranty.

Yes, it sucks for any new car to have a major failure, but that’s what the warranty is for. They’re not going to switch your car out for a new one because something failed. If you don’t trust it anymore then you can sell it after it’s fixed and buy another car.

But look up your states lemon laws. Usually if a car is in for the same major repair/failure for a certain number times or is in the shop for a major repair over a certain number of days then it may qualify for a lemon law buy back.

Calm down, take a deep breath. Your vehicle will get repaired. Could be a bad batch of parts that can happen to any product.
Perhaps you are too young to remember exploding Ford Pintos, Chevrolet Corvair's that were unsafe at any speed, and Audi's that accelerated into swimming pools after going thru garage walls.
(Correct info on Ford Pintos. Corvairs? Overreaction by the public/media. Audis? Totally debunked, all caused by "operator error.")

Reactions: andaconda
I had several Corvairs and too may Pintos to count. Never did blow up in a Pinto and never flipped over in a Corvair! They were great fun cars! The only hick up with one of my Corvairs was that I had to carry a gallon (yes a gallon ((4 quarts))) of oil for every 30 miles of travel. Needless to say I used old discarded oil from oil changes that my friends had.

I bought my MY LR 2023 on December 1, the car gave a message of electrical failure and only less than 2 minutes to park safely, luckily I was on a local road. The car got towed to the Tesla service center and they discovered that the front inverter had too much current running through which caused the fuse to blow they replaced the inverter. Even though I was frustrated I understood that this can happen to any car even though I have not experienced this with other ICE cars. I drove another 2 months and the same thing happened last Friday, with only a minute to drive the car to a safe location. The car is towed to the local service center. I am looking for some advice and help here. I am a Tesla superfan, but this experience has shattered my confidence in the product. The worst is the safety issue, if this happens on an interstate and I only have 2 minutes to drive to safety not sure I can do that. I am terrified to drive this vehicle on the interstate. I want to know what are my options, I would like Tesla to replace this car as it seems like a faulty vehicle, I have reported the safety concern to NHSA. I am trying to find a Tesla support number where I can talk to someone personally but the only number I have is 1-877-7983752, where I can't get hold of a human and it's all automated responses. Do I need to engage a lawyer? I am just lost and don't know how to proceed forwardsAlso, for all Tesla fanboys who wanted to bash me for my first post complaining about problems with Tesla, save yourself for another thread. I am reporting to seek help and make others aware of the quality issues with Tesla vehicles.View attachment 1017630View attachment 1017631View attachment 1017632 View attachment 1017629
I can directly relate to your plight. Just 3,000 miles in and enjoying my 2022 MSLR, the car gave me 30 seconds to "pull over safely, car shutting down". Luckily, like you, I was on local surface street. I was able to pull over just enough, with the car's ass in the lane, for people to get by. My wife got out to direct traffic. Some people even asked if we needed help. Cut to the chase, I called the number on the screen in the service menu. They had me shut down the car, wait, then restart by pressing the brake peddle. We were on our way in about ten minutes. I learned that with such a failure you're put at the top of the service queue. They had the car for a few days saying they can not reproduce the problem. I asked them to keep the car, check connections and drive it. They kept it for 3 weeks. I monitored and saw it was in service mode sometimes and being driven other times. Nothing definitively fixed. So I took it back. I drove puckered for another thousand miles. It now is 13,000 miles later and not one problem. Even with this "incident", it's the best car I've ever owned.

Back to the OP. So I can relate to you not trusting the car. At this point Tesla will not buy your car back because there's not sufficient fix and fail time or events yet. But you gotta look specifically at your states lemon law. Also, plenty of inverter and motor problems in the past (have not heard of any lately except yours), so do a search on "inverter" here on TMC. Also, do like I did, drive the car a lot just on local streets while always giving yourself an out. Also make them keep the car after this sort of repair and make them drive it.

How long was it between failures, was it the same failure?