Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga factory austin production date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also want an Austin MYLR with 4680 and Forged Body Castings. I currently have a MYLR on order since 5/5/21 and my dealer is helping me push out delivery as much as I can. There have been two $500 price increases since I placed the order and I'm hoping I can push it out long enough to get the Austin build. That said, I read that the new tax incentives will start with Tesla's, if they remain included, with cars ordered 5/24 and after, if the bill passes that way, I will cancel and reorder to insure I get the FTC's and Austin build. I've had the opportunity to do an over-night demo and love the car but really don't need it so I can wait but it's killing me with anxiety - LOL! Ride safe and smile!

Reactions: infovore
I also want an Austin MYLR with 4680 and Forged Body Castings. I currently have a MYLR on order since 5/5/21 and my dealer is helping me push out delivery as much as I can. There have been two $500 price increases since I placed the order and I'm hoping I can push it out long enough to get the Austin build. That said, I read that the new tax incentives will start with Tesla's, if they remain included, with cars ordered 5/24 and after, if the bill passes that way, I will cancel and reorder to insure I get the FTC's and Austin build. I've had the opportunity to do an over-night demo and love the car but really don't need it so I can wait but it's killing me with anxiety - LOL! Ride safe and smile!
The order date shouldn't matter as far as the tax credit goes. The delivery date is what should matter.

I've also got an order in that I am trying to delay as long as possible, but I don't expect that they will let us transfer the order from a Fremont Y to an Austin Y. I expect them to treat them as different cars.

I bet some Ys will leave the Austin factory this year, with the ramp occurring in the first half of next year. It will be interesting to see if they can get enough batteries.

Reactions: saltsman and YBLee
Agreed. I hope you're correct on Order Date vs Delivery date, that would be great. My dealer in Dedham, MA has delayed my delivery to July 27th and said that's all he could do. We'll see if I decide to cancel to wait for an Austin Y. I'd take a MYLR w 4680 as a minimum but really want the forged casting as well.
Again, I really don't need it but really want it. A number of friends (old cause I'm 72) don't see the value in an EV but because of their driving habits at this age, at least 5 would be totally fine with an EV because they do 98% of their driving around two where home charging would be perfect for them. I plan to let them try my Y for a day or so to "see-the-light" and "catch-the-fever" - LOL. Have a great day and let me know if you hear anything interesting. Lee

You might as well count on this time next year for builds to start leaving Texas. Everything with Tesla is also delayed except Elon’s “two week” tweets. I love Tesla and chose not to wait for a Texas build. We purchased in February of this year. I figure when we see a significant improvement (4680 cells aren’t a significant improvement to me) in range we will just trade and get a newer Y. I figure that will be 2023+ so I will at least be enjoying the cost savings/enjoyment of the current Y. I truly believe it is a waste of time/savings to wait on the next great thing like: new headlights, 4680 cells, one piece castings, etc. Once those things come out there will be something else in the pipeline. When do you call it and say I’m ready to take delivery? We already have 8k miles on ours with a hugeee cost savings over our V8 grand Cherokee we previously owned. To each their own, I would just remember Tesla’s timeline is an alternate reality.

Nobody knows what Tesla is or isn't doing. However, it doesn't make business sense to build 2 versions of the same vehicle (MYLR or MYP) from 2 different factories for the same market. Chances is are that they will start making one variant at one and another at the other, say MYP and MYSR in CA and MYLR in TX; Fremont can focus on "lower volume" variants since it's already making M3, MX, MS, and potentially roadster in the future. Of course, this is purely a guess and it could be the reverse or completely wrong.

Reactions: brkaus
I was planning on releasing my hold for the MYLR in September/October for a November/December delivery (kind of as a birthday present to myself). Is it worth waiting a few months for possibly having a model from the Austin site or is it probably going to take a while for the improvements once the plants open to hit the CA market?

It's going to be expensive to get the first models from the Austin plant. Only once production ramps up high and demand is somewhat satiated, will prices trend downward. Suspect Elon will give an Austin update at shareholders meeting later in the month.

If you’re going to
I was planning on releasing my hold for the MYLR in September/October for a November/December delivery (kind of as a birthday present to myself). Is it worth waiting a few months for possibly having a model from the Austin site or is it probably going to take a while for the improvements once the plants open to hit the CA market?
By December, we should have a pretty good read on how the factory is coming along. If cars have already started trickling out of it, you might want to wait another quarter or so to pick one up. I think the Austin built models are going to be a big step up. I’m probably going to buy a 3 soon, but I’m not expecting 3s to come out of Austin for a while. If I were buying a Y, I would wait.

Reactions: Viv1984
If you’re going to

By December, we should have a pretty good read on how the factory is coming along. If cars have already started trickling out of it, you might want to wait another quarter or so to pick one up. I think the Austin built models are going to be a big step up. I’m probably going to buy a 3 soon, but I’m not expecting 3s to come out of Austin for a while. If I were buying a Y, I would wait.

Thanks, that's probably what I'll end up doing. I was looking at the 3, but I think the space in the Y is better for me with all the work I plan on doing in my backyard and I play sports and tossing my gear bag into the back seat of my sedan is getting difficult if there's cars on both sides of me.

Interesting that this thread was started in early June and here it is late November and we are still waiting for GigaTexas to start production.

Anyone want venture a guess now, when will be see Texas produced Model Y's ?

Bonus question, will there be 2170's or 4680's in those first cars ?