Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been obsessively tracking the progress of Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai, China — thanks in large part to info our friend Vincent on Twitter gathers. Now he has news that Tesla is about to hold a groundbreaking ceremony for Gigafactory 3 (GF3) in 7 hours.

Breaking: Tesla will have Gigafactory 3 groundbreaking ceremony today in Shanghai, China. Estimate time 3:00-3:00pm Shanghai time Jan 07 2019. Tesla CEO @elonmusk already arrived Shanghai. pic.twitter.com/lBHI99rJCu

— Vincent (@vincent13031925) January 7, 2019

<snip>
Full article at:
Breaking! Tesla Gigafactory 3 Groundbreaking In China In 7 Hours | CleanTechnica

Is china stealing Tesla’s technology a concern am sure there will be corporate spies by govt or state owned companies there to try this.

Its not like Pepsi which has a secret formula that only a few people know or Apple where the secret sauce is the software along with the HW.

I imagine Tesla will have many controls in place for this. It seems like biggest concern will be the motor which is where all the magic is.

Is china stealing Tesla’s technology a concern am sure there will be corporate spies by govt or state owned companies there to try this.

Its not like Pepsi which has a secret formula that only a few people know or Apple where the secret sauce is the software along with the HW.

I imagine Tesla will have many controls in place for this. It seems like biggest concern will be the motor which is where all the magic is.

All Tesla patents are open source. It's part of Elon's prodding others to hurry up and follow him. Most other auto companies though are too proud and/or stupid and haven't taken advantage of it tho. The Chinese on the other hand have no such qualms, I'm sure they'll be copying his IP as fast as they can download it. One of the Chinese EV startups has already used a ton of Tesla's IP, so they're basically Tesla lite --

https://electrek.co/2018/12/13/tesla-inspired-ev-startup-xiaopeng-all-electric-suv/

Last edited:
Reactions: cityberty

IP is highly overrated. Tesla has opened its patents. Anybody can buy a Tesla and copy the motor.
Tesla's real advantage is that it actually makes stuff. That's the hard part as we know from production hell.
The IP noise is just Trump fearmongering.

Reactions: cityberty