Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving VIN Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that has given up their VIN for whatever reason, can you please explain to me the process and what happens when you do so? And if there are any negative consequences/side affects when you do this? I'm asking because I'd like to potentially give up my VIN (if I receive one soon) due to my financial plan not meeting some personal dates and what not.

You contact tesla and ask for your account to be placed on hold, which would preclude you from getting a vin in the first place. If you have a vin already assigned, you contact tesla and tell them you are not able to take delivery right now and need to be placed on hold.

If its the first time you have done it, you should be able to be placed on hold for the amount of time allowed in your contract to take delivery. As far as negative consequences, your order can be forfeited if you have done this before, or if you are past the amount of time that tesla allows for this. Tesla would tell you what that date is etc.

TL ; DR -- Contact tesla and ask to be placed on hold.

Sorry I shouldve asked my question better. I meant giving the VIN away and being put back into the line/queue somewhere to "delay" getting the vehicle so that my financial dates can be better met.
When did you order? What’s your RN? Do you actually have a VIN?

Could be a good chance you still have a long ways to go anyway so I don’t think I’d be putting any order on hold

When did you order? What’s your RN? Do you actually have a VIN?

Could be a good chance you still have a long ways to go anyway so I don’t think I’d be putting any order on hold
Ordered an FSD Model S in red with a black interior and 19" wheels in late November. I do not have a VIN but just planning for the worst case scenario at the moment with my current finances and job and what have you. I'm not putting it on hold since I don't have a VIN yet. I'm just inquiring and planning

Ordered an FSD Model S in red with a black interior and 19" wheels in late November. I do not have a VIN but just planning for the worst case scenario at the moment with my current finances and job and what have you. I'm not putting it on hold since I don't have a VIN yet. I'm just inquiring and planning
Reds seem to be slow to arrive in Denver. Several Denver people I have seen getting their model s close to the 12month mark. So I wouldn’t expect a vin anytime soon.

Because you don’t want it soon, watch you will get it lol.

What is your current EDD say?

Reds seem to be slow to arrive in Denver. Several Denver people I have seen getting their model s close to the 12month mark. So I wouldn’t expect a vin anytime soon.

Because you don’t want it soon, watch you will get it lol.

What is your current EDD say?
At the moment the longer the wait, for me, the better. My EDD is April 1st - 29th. My preferred date is June/July. Which was what was estimated when I first ordered the vehicle. I don't like how it changes to be earlier since the initial estimation was what I planned everything around. I see you're from CO do you have some time for questions I have? Like tax rebate, cost of registration, etc.

At the moment the longer the wait, for me, the better. My EDD is April 1st - 29th. My preferred date is June/July. Which was what was estimated when I first ordered the vehicle. I don't like how it changes to be earlier since the initial estimation was what I planned everything around. I see you're from CO do you have some time for questions I have? Like tax rebate, cost of registration, etc.

I ordered May 2021 and am still waiting. There is another guy that ordered in April from Denver, Still waiting. I would expect at least 9 months for your order. I see no evidence that Tesla is increasing its production or deliveries of the Model S. I have had EDD's every single month since August of 2021.....push after push...

Sure, but I may not have many answers for you. I am still waiting on my car and this is my first Tesla. I do believe there was a state tax credit that may still be available it is getting smaller and smaller. I know it was still around in 2021 for I believe 3K. but now not sure in 2022. I am expecting registration to be somewhere near 2K.

RN1157XXXXXX Ordered my Sliver SLR 21" white interior, back in Oct 7th 2021 in Calgary Alberta, original EDD was Feb20 to Mar20, I was excited and ordered all the accessories lol... the bank financing was approved, everything was looking good then 90 days past and financing had to be re-applied so now EDD moved to May18 to June18 ?? I'm not holding my breath... at this point I still don't think I will see this car before August 2022, hope I'm wrong but no need to get all excited only to be disappointed over and over again, Thanks Tesla Monkeys! I will post once I get the Vin and go from there! Good Luck peeps and I feel your pain! The struggle is real ;)