Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glamping in the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Took the Y for a 1,000 mile round trip to the Texas coast over the New Year

The trip was a success, although the car currently looks like a badly treated rental. It's a little too cold in Dallas today to give it a wash, strange really because yesterday we were in tee shirt and shorts walking on the beach

I was able to glamp in the back of the Y, the not-quite-flat seat backs weren't any problem, although I slid down them a little. There was plenty of space, especially once I raked the pax seat forward a little.

Couldn't see anything out of the roof due to the tint, though I did see some stars out of the side window, enough to figure out where North was at least 🥸

We were somewhere fairly primitive: no cell phone signal and no electricity, so I kept camp mode off which wasn't a problem as we were getting blasted with a strong onshore wind, so I cracked the window on the windward side and opened it fully on the leeward side to get a nice through breeze. I also switched of Sentry Mode to preserve power

One problem was the light in the tailgate, because on one night I wanted to keep it open, but you can't switch off the light. I googled TMC and saw the tip about using hook side velcro to cover the light. Went out to buy some the following day

Everything worked as planned. The range estimates once a nav destination was entered appeared to be accurate. I monitored energy usage on the energy screen, Superchargers were working and available (and I used up my free 1000 miles) Took two longish stops to make the trip back. I even used the 110v charger when we stopped at an Air BnB and slow as it was it gave us plenty overnight. Used TACC for most of the trip and Auto Steer on the Interstate, so it's an easy drive with very comfortable seats

Now we're planning a multi day trip up to PA in the spring as I feel pretty good about all the things that are scary when you take delivery of the vehicle

Give it a try!