Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare strip, Visor strip, Sun strip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is known as the AS-1 line; the top 5 inches of the windshield. In most states you can add a darkening film to the AS-1 line as long as it is not reflective, i.e. does cannot produce a mirrored effect. If you flip down the sunshade in the Tesla Model Y the sunshade covers much of the windshield down to the AS-1 line.

A high quality ceramic tint film from Xpel or 3M, 70% tint, is barely noticeable yet it can greatly reduce the amount of heat radiation from the sun's rays that enters the passenger cabin. Before adding a tint film to the windshield check the DOT or DMV regulations for tinting the windshield in your state.

I added a Visor stip on the top of the windshield, it really helps with the glare from the sun while driving, and it also makes the front look better, the change from the windshield to the roof. I think it is 20%. I also have a UV tint on the whole windshield 70% as mentioned above. I live in AZ so it is a must.
IMG_1654.jpg

Reactions: Du30
Anybody installed a Glare strip, Visor strip, Sun strip? whatever you called... on a Tesla? What tint percentage is ideal? Photos appreciated.
I did, and I love it! So much heat and light comes through the MY windshield it was bothering me. My shop installed a tint strip approximately 7 inches wide or so. It is almost to the bottom of the black camera enclosure. It is 15%, and the brand is Llumar. In my opinion it is the perfect shade of gray and perfect darkness. Can send pic later.

I added a Visor stip on the top of the windshield, it really helps with the glare from the sun while driving, and it also makes the front look better, the change from the windshield to the roof. I think it is 20%. I also have a UV tint on the whole windshield 70% as mentioned above. I live in AZ so it is a must.View attachment 913529
Hi does the UV tint on the whole windshield affect the front camera at all?

It was done at a auto tint shop, Pinnacle Formula One tint
Do you find that it actually keeps the car cooler overall or that the car will still get just as hot as without the tint, just at a slower rate?

I had the windshield of my M3 tinted with ceramic but it was 100%, not 70% and I don't think it really did much at all in the way of blocking heat. But XPEL is supposed to be really good at heat rejection, much better than the brand I had (Sun Guard).

My wife's night vision is not the greatest due to LASIK surgery so I'm hesitant to do 70% on the new MY.

I did 50% on my entire windshield and a sun visor strip of 5%. It is "close" to the AS1 line. From the inside you can't even tell the windshield is tinted. If I had to do it again I would do 40% on the windshield. I don't do a lot of night driving.