Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roof During the Summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we are getting to the heart of summer, can anyone post thoughts on how well the roof blocks the heat and sun during mid-day full sun? I've seen several vids from early spring where they said the roof wasn't a problem, but I'm very curious how well the tint and infrared blocking holds up during summer.

Thanks!

Reactions: Dana1
I'm sure we'll start hearing a lot more about it as summer heats up.

I think a less tinted roof with a retractable opaque sunshade would be a better solution than just dark tinted glass. You'd get more heat resistance when you need it, and a better view when you want it. The glass roofs on the cars at the reveal were so much cooler without the tint. The tint kind of ruins the effect.

I don't even want a dark tinted glass roof. I wish it wasn't automatically paired with the awesome stereo.

It's been hot as hell in Texas for a month now and it's handled it very well. Way more heat comes through the windshield. I do have xpel ceramic tint on the rear window, though. No tint on the glass above the front row or windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC
I lived near Hell, in California. Texas is probably hotter, and definitely more humid and uncomfortable to someone used to drier climes, but here in California, I've never noticed much heat from the glass roofs of my Teslas. Usually one just turns on the AC and drives on down the road.

As to tint, I can see the trees through the roof glass. I've had Teslas for 6 years. Never a problem here in California. But of course, the sun shines more straight down on Texas. They make a sunshade that I read some have bought. Personally, I don't need it.

We've had one somewhat warm day since I got the car. Think it was high 70's. Car sat outside for maybe a half hour and was incredibly hot when I got back to it. Didn't check the temp in the app, didn't leave the AC running while I was in the store (but I'll probably do that the next time).

Up through 110 degrees so far this year it doesn't seem any hotter than any other car I've owned. I think the hottest interior temp I've seen is 121 deg F. It may actually be slightly cooler inside than my previous cars.

I do have all the windows tinted though, and the roof and hatch screens installed. My front windshield is tinted at the top, down to the level of the bottom of the mirror attachment.

If it's really hot outside, it's going to get hot inside no matter what you do because of the greenhouse effect. The hottest I saw stock was 115.

I have a Tesla shade on the pano and photosync 35% on all the windows, on a high 70's low 80's day the temp gets about 95-100 inside but on hotter days I've seen it hit 105.

A couple thoughts from a current Model S owner w/ glass roof option, I assume the Model 3 is similar:

1. It does stay remarkably cool for a roof made of glass, even in direct sunlight.

2. The A/C compressor is electric and remarkably effective, cools a hot car much quicker than an ICE.

3. For really hot days using the app to turn on the climate is a great feature. Usually I just turn on the A/C as I am leaving the table at a restaurant or after checking out at the store, and the car is cool in the short 2 or 3 minutes it takes to walk outside.

4. Cabin overheat protection is on the S and X...and supposedly in the works for if not already enabled on the 3. Automatically keeps the cabin temp under 115F.

5. If all else fails, there are sunshades (both Tesla OEM and aftermarket) designed to fit the roof. After a few 100F days, decided I didn't need one, however it might be nice for those that are sensitive to direct sunlight.

The roof tint works so well that I put it on the rest of the car :) I saw interior temps near 160 F with no tint here in AZ. Now 145 F is about as hot as it gets. If my car has cabin overheat protection it must be set really high...