Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my considered opinion, the tint on the roof of my Model 3 makes it useless as a "sunroof". It's too dark to really see through, and it lets in too much heat. My previous cars with panoramic sunroofs had motorized shades I could close when needed, or open for light and viewing. As we all know, the only way to stop the heat in a Tesla is to install a semi-permanent shade, essentially making that expensive glass roof a waste.

There are now several vehicles out there (including a Toyota!) that utilize an electronic shade that activates with the push of a button. Push it and the sunroof instantly goes from clear to opaque and back. Given Tesla's penchant for gee-whiz electronics, I'm frankly surprised they don't use this tech.

Tesla, are you listening?

Upvote 0
I feel like people have been talking about type of glass for Teslas for as long as they've been making Teslas. I've never seen Tesla comment about the possibilities but it sure does make sense. Makes more sense than incorporating a solar panel into that pane of glass.

They're listening. They don't care ;)

In my considered opinion, the tint on the roof of my Model 3 makes it useless as a "sunroof". It's too dark to really see through, and it lets in too much heat.

I would not worry about ability to see through the roof. I can't recall the last time I was driving and looking up. It's just not a thing.

My previous cars with panoramic sunroofs had motorized shades I could close when needed, or open for light and viewing. As we all know, the only way to stop the heat in a Tesla is to install a semi-permanent shade, essentially making that expensive glass roof a waste.

If I still lived in TX, I would do what this guy did - put white TPU wrap over the roof to block the sun properly.
Evidently, it's pretty cheap as well ($200-250):

There are now several vehicles out there (including a Toyota!) that utilize an electronic shade that activates with the push of a button. Push it and the sunroof instantly goes from clear to opaque and back. Given Tesla's penchant for gee-whiz electronics, I'm frankly surprised they don't use this tech.

Tesla's recent penchant is not for gee-whiz electronics. It's for cost cutting.
If they want to save a few bucks by removing stalks from the steering wheel, you think they will add cost to electronically adjust roof opaqueness?

a