Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to be bringing my Model 3 Performance to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me reword my issues:

If I put the thin European plate on the back, there will be two holes showing for the wide U.S plate. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

You can get a bracket for the plate which allows you to use the existing holes and will cover all four holes. You can find them on Amazon or ebay. They will have a stripe above or below the plate for the extra height of the US holes.

But please consider all the other issues with bringing a U.S. Tesla to Europe.

Reactions: skrtskrt
Maybe you should review some of You You Xue's European road trip preparation and experiences with his car when he went overseas last year and shipped his car.

Tesla Model 3 Road Trip and sure there are threads on it here. I forgot when he started his European adventure (which btw ended in his car damaged by hitting a barrier during a turn in Greece, he may have been too tired driving). But the posts will be in the reverse order and don't think there's a way on fb to jump to the oldest posts first.

Last edited:
How about you put screws/bolts in there and cover the heads with a couple of these with matching color?

5zmamr.jpg

Like the title says, I'll be moving to Europe and will be bringing my P3D+. My only question is how will I remove the 4 drilled holes from the back (from licenses plate) to install the European plates?

Have you done your homework on what it would take to legally register a US-spec vehicle in Europe?
It's an absolute nightmare to export vehicles between US and Canada, and most people give up and sell them on one side of the border, and buy on the other. And that's a border you can drive across.

In your case, you need to add the cost of marine container shipping to the cost and complexity of in-country localization.
And that is assuming Tesla will play ball and agree to load Euro-spec software configuration on your US VIN car. Otherwise, you have no way to localize the vehicle to meet European registration requirements.

To answer your direct question - you can't "remove" the holes.
You can fill them, and repaint the bumper, or you can buy a new bumper and spray it to match your vehicle color.

a

Last edited:
You can get a bracket for the plate which allows you to use the existing holes and will cover all four holes. You can find them on Amazon or ebay. They will have a stripe above or below the plate for the extra height of the US holes.

But please consider all the other issues with bringing a U.S. Tesla to Europe.

This seems like the best option. Anyone have experience with this before? I measured the distance between the hole and it's about 4.4 inches and the bracket is about 5.5 inches.

Like the title says, I'll be moving to Europe and will be bringing my P3D+. My only question is how will I remove the 4 drilled holes from the back (from licenses plate) to install the European plates?

Given you are planning on putting European plates, I'm assuming this isn't the case, but are you in the military? I used to live close to the Mildenhall Air Force Base in the UK, and a lady in our office (whose husband was in the US Air Force, but not high up) drove their pickup on military plates. No need to comply with local regulations in that case. Their pickup was shipped over for free as part of being relocated.