Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Front Plate Adhesive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the new S about 3 weeks and I decided to put a PPF on it. When it was installed (the shop owner who also owns a Model Y) said that they had to remove the front plate to install the PPF and that he’s had occasions where the plate subsequently fell off (for a variety of reasons).

My question is, does anyone have any experience with adhesive options (which have worked) over PPF without drilling into the front bumper?

I’ve had the new S about 3 weeks and I decided to put a PPF on it. When it was installed (the shop owner who also owns a Model Y) said that they had to remove the front plate to install the PPF and that he’s had occasions where the plate subsequently fell off (for a variety of reasons).

My question is, does anyone have any experience with adhesive options (which have worked) over PPF without drilling into the front bumper?
He's right about the plate coming loose.

I had the exact same issue after I had PPF installed on the bumper.

I tried two different adhesives without any luck .

Finally I tried this and it hasn't budged in the slightest.

Just be careful to thoroughly clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol otherwise the glue will eventually come loose

Gorilla Tough & Clear Double Sided Mounting Tape, Hanging, Instant 15lb Strong Hold, Permanent Bond, Weatherproof, 1 in x 60 in, Clear, (Pack of 1), 6065101 (Packaging May Vary)

https://a.co/d/8dM14yF

Reactions: Struja
Mine fell off after PPF. I went with one of these. Custom Licence Plate - Adhesive Licence Plate Replica it’s been on there for 3 years, and this is the 4th winter. Other than a couple minor stone chips, it’s been perfect. Nice clean look, easy to keep clean.

Just had my plate fall off my new MY - I suspect it going on in the cold meant the adhesive wasn't ideally adhered. On a recommendation from my PPF guy I went with "TesFram Anti Theft License Plate Holder" from Amazon. Locks onto the grille below the nose. A bit pricey but well engineered and works well.

This looks interesting. Is it legal here in Ontario?
Not illegal? I don’t have the specific reference, but when I researched it, the only thing I could find was a line in the ON highway traffic act along the lines of “you can’t tamper with licence plates”. I didn’t tamper with it, I just made a picture of it. 😁It’s reflective, dimensionally, and in appearance identical to an issued plate. Functionally, it works exactly the same.

Bottom line IMO - very low risk.

Reactions: SilverGS
I have a 22MS without PPF and last week I noticed the license plate and front housing were gone. It was either stolen or fell off, I will never know. I went to the local Tesla service center and they said that sometimes the housing "just falls off" because they are held on by two-sided tape. And this is in Southern California where we have ambient weather. I had to go to the DMV for new plates and Tesla has set up a date this Monday to install the new housing. Total cost, about 50 bucks.

So I had an appointment for Tesla service to replace the housing last week and they canceled about 30 minutes prior saying they did not have the part. I rescheduled for today, 12 noon to 4 PM. At 12:20 PM the driver called and said he did not have the part and will have to reschedule. I think the total cost is going to be about $70; still not too bad. I'm wondering though, is this a common thing for the front housing [that holds the license plate] to come off?

Alien tape

I have a 22MS without PPF and last week I noticed the license plate and front housing were gone. It was either stolen or fell off, I will never know. I went to the local Tesla service center and they said that sometimes the housing "just falls off" because they are held on by two-sided tape. And this is in Southern California where we have ambient weather. I had to go to the DMV for new plates and Tesla has set up a date this Monday to install the new housing. Total cost, about 50 bucks.
I'm responding to my own comment. Twice they had me set up to replace the bracket and twice they canceled at the last moment. The guy came by a few days ago and put a new bracket. No holes, just two-sided tape. He said that the front plates rarely fall off. I am not so sure. In California it is illegal to have a car without front plates, although I do see a lot of people do so. I'm told that the newer model S does not offer a bracket on the front.