Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got all my 4 wheels scratched after putting on those stupid ring protector.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, Just got my 2024 Model 3. I guess I protected it too much... I bought those stupid Wheel Protector from Ali Express. It is like a plastic Ring you clip it on the wheels to protect it from road rash. I put it on for 3 days! Big mistake! sand and dirt get in... and look at the photo. What do I do? How much to fix this? Should I just powder coat it or something? The problem is it is all over 4 wheels!!!
wheel1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hi all, Just got my 2024 Model 3. I guess I protected it too much... I bought those stupid Wheel Protector from Ali Express. It is like a plastic Ring you clip it on the wheels to protect it from road rash. I put it on for 3 days! Big mistake! sand and dirt get in... and look at the photo. What do I do? How much to fix this? Should I just powder coat it or something? The problem is it is all over 4 wheels!!!View attachment 1052658
So you're saying the very product that's supposed to prevent this from happening is also the same product that caused this happen? Sorry man.

Search for a local wheel repair shop In your area.

-Danny

I would call a mobile rim repair service and have them advise you on repair. They can probably make it look like new, since fixing curb rash is what they do.
Yea, that is what I am searching... I mean if it cost too much... I just buy some good looking cover and cover it... That was really stupid! Or I should just wait till winter when I took of those wheels and see if I can powder coated or something!!!

Yea, that is what I am searching... I mean if it cost too much... I just buy some good looking cover and cover it... That was really stupid! Or I should just wait till winter when I took of those wheels and see if I can powder coated or something!!!

Whats "too much" is a personal thing of course, and the cost of those services tends to depend on the skill of the person doing it, and how much work they have to do on each wheel. No idea what it costs in Canada. I had 3 wheels done here in Southern California in the US, with one of them having a deep gouge that needed to be repaired, and I remember something like $125 a wheel which I felt was reasonable.

No idea if the going rate is cheaper or more expensive where you are, and to me, the skill of the person doing it is the most important thing. As long as a highly skilled person has pricing that I find reasonable, thats what I always choose, whether someone else is cheaper, or not doesnt matter much to me.

That SUX!. Post a pick of the supposed "rim protector" or a link so others can be aware.

Is this junk from Aliexpress. It is just a ring you clip around your wheels. I just bough a wheel cover from a Canadian Base in Vancouver. Will see how it goes... I just put a cover on top.. I need to buy a new rim + winter tires in winter anyway... I checked everywhere... if I wanted to fix those wheels and then Powder coated it going to cost me at less $200 CDN each... I may as well get new set of after market rims after those tires are done...
1717305787861.png

Reactions: el-guapin
But they are not powder coated now, right? How much was "Fix these wheels" without powder coating?
I did some wet sanding which made it looks better, I also bough a cover for it that is from Vancouver... it is with UPS now (see photos). I ask one of the place in Mississauga charge me $650 for all 4 if I wanted to powder coated it. I just wait till I need new tires (The way I drive, probably in 3 years). I may just buy a set of custom rim by that time.. I search around a good custom rim is about $200 each; a really good one is like $300 each. I do it then...
wheels.jpg

Reactions: Genie
Hi all, Just got my 2024 Model 3. I guess I protected it too much... I bought those stupid Wheel Protector from Ali Express. It is like a plastic Ring you clip it on the wheels to protect it from road rash. I put it on for 3 days! Big mistake! sand and dirt get in... and look at the photo. What do I do? How much to fix this? Should I just powder coat it or something? The problem is it is all over 4 wheels!!!View attachment 1052658
I would probably try some Scratch-X first, which may be able to buff out most of it (or at least make it much less visible). It could just be clear coat damage.
Yeah, the problem with rim protectors is if sand gets in, the sand will scratch up your wheels, since the plastic rubs against the wheel. You may need some PPF or some sort of protective tape over it before installing the plastic bits.

I did some wet sanding which made it looks better, I also bough a cover for it that is from Vancouver... it is with UPS now (see photos). I ask one of the place in Mississauga charge me $650 for all 4 if I wanted to powder coated it. I just wait till I need new tires (The way I drive, probably in 3 years). I may just buy a set of custom rim by that time.. I search around a good custom rim is about $200 each; a really good one is like $300 each. I do it then...View attachment 1053461
Wet sanding was step 1, paint, clearcoat, and polish and you’ll never know it happened.

I would probably try some Scratch-X first, which may be able to buff out most of it (or at least make it much less visible). It could just be clear coat damage.
Yeah, the problem with rim protectors is if sand gets in, the sand will scratch up your wheels, since the plastic rubs against the wheel. You may need some PPF or some sort of protective tape over it before installing the plastic bits.
Yea, I did some wet sanding... but some scratch are too deep... So I am considering either go to Union RIM and Powder Coating it. But from what I heard it going to cost about $170 to $180 per wheel, with that much, I can probably get an after market wheels.... I have to made my decision after I put my winter wheels on... I can't do it right now... I don't have a set of spare wheels.

Yea, I did some wet sanding... but some scratch are too deep... So I am considering either go to Union RIM and Powder Coating it. But from what I heard it going to cost about $170 to $180 per wheel, with that much, I can probably get an after market wheels.... I have to made my decision after I put my winter wheels on... I can't do it right now... I don't have a set of spare wheels.
Or if you can get some touchup paint. The previous 18" wheels has some duplicolor spray paint that were decent matches:

No sure however if Tesla used the same paint color for 2024 model.

Last edited: