Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS turns itself on at work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that that when I get in my car to leave work (and this only happens at work), my GPS comes up with a route planned in it, about to show me how to drive somewhere. I didn't ask for it to do that, as far as I know. I hit the cancel trip button. That's too much effort, I shouldn't have to do that.

How to make it not do that?

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that that when I get in my car to leave work (and this only happens at work), my GPS comes up with a route planned in it, about to show me how to drive somewhere. I didn't ask for it to do that, as far as I know. I hit the cancel trip button. That's too much effort, I shouldn't have to do that.

How to make it not do that?

Sounds like automatic navigation, which is covered in the manual. Perhaps try turning that off:

==============================

Navigation Settings​

The navigation settings icon displays when you touch ... once you start navigating to a destination.
Note
You can also access navigation settings by touching Controls > Navigation.
Touch the navigation settings icon to customize the navigation system to suit your preferences (the available settings vary depending on your market region and vehicle configuration):
  • Navigation Guidance: Touch Voice or Chime to choose the type of audio you want the navigation system to use for navigation instructions.
  • Touch - or + to increase or decrease the volume of spoken navigation instructions. Decreasing all the way to the left, or touching the speaker icon, mutes the instructions. You can also mute/unmute navigation instructions by touching the speaker icon. This volume setting applies only to the navigation system's spoken instructions. Volume for Media Player and Phone is not changed.
    Note
    Your Model 3 automatically adjusts the volume based on driving speed and climate settings.
  • Enable Automatic Navigation if you want Model 3 to automatically initiate a navigation destination when you get in your vehicle. Destinations are predicted based on commonly driven routes, time of day, and calendar entries (see Automatic Navigation).
  • Enable Trip Planner (if available in your market region) to add supercharger stops as needed. Supercharging stops are added to navigation routes with the goal of minimizing the amount of time you spend driving and charging (see Trip Planner).
  • Enable Online Routing to be automatically rerouted to avoid heavy traffic (see Online Routing).
  • Touch Avoid Ferries to be automatically routed to avoid ferries.
  • Touch Avoid Tolls to be automatically routed to avoid tolls.
  • Touch Use HOV Lanes to include High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on navigation routes. This is particularly useful when using Navigate on Autopilot (see Navigate on Autopilot).

Automatic Navigation​

Note
Automatic Navigation may not be available in all market regions and on all vehicle configurations.
Automatic Navigation can predict a destination when you get in your vehicle. When your phone's calendar is synced to Model 3, and the calendar includes an event that takes place within two hours of when you get in your vehicle to drive, Automatic Navigation suggests the location of the event (assuming a valid address is associated with the event).
In addition, if you are Home and get in your vehicle on weekdays (Monday to Friday) from 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Automatic Navigation can automatically route you to your specified Work location (see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations). Likewise, if you are at work on weekdays from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM, Automatic Navigation can automatically route you to your specified Home location.
To enable Automatic Navigation, touch Controls > Navigation > Automatic Navigation. You must have your phone's calendar synced to Model 3 and the event must include a uniquely specified and valid address (see Phone, Calendar, and Web Conferencing).