Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Not working. Brand new Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Model Y was delivered one month ago.

The GPS stopped working on the 14th day. It recovered by itself after about 10 hours.

The problem occurred again after another two weeks. This time, it never recovered. I called the support phone number. They can do nothing. I schedule a service and the earliest available time is several days away.

The GPS now shows a fixed location where the car has never been to. It's a about 20 miles away.

Because of these, the FSD doesn't work. When I am on a freeway, it shows speed limit of 25, 45 or other random numbers.

From what I read online so far, this seems a very common problem. My users reported that this problem was very hard to fix, and it can come back after repair.

The GPS stopped working on the 14th day. It recovered by itself after about 10 hours.

The problem occurred again after another two weeks. This time, it never recovered. I called the support phone number. They can do nothing. I schedule a service and the earliest available time is several days away.

The GPS now shows a fixed location where the car has never been to. It's a about 20 miles away.

Because of these, the FSD doesn't work. When I am on a freeway, it shows speed limit of 25, 45 or other random numbers.

From what I read online so far, this seems a very common problem. My users reported that this problem was very hard to fix, and it can come back after repair.
BE careful what you read online.

If you want to know how common it is, do an advanced search (upper right corner) on this forum. There may be some previous threads on the subject.

BE careful what you read online.

If you want to know how common it is, do an advanced search (upper right corner) on this forum. There may be some previous threads on the subject.
Yes. That's what I did before posting. I have found multiple postings on the forum and some from other websites. Some said the GPS problems came back even after the car has been repaired by service center.

I had an appointment for mobile service today. Someone contacted me yesterday and asked if there were any USB devices connected. He suggested me to remove the USB device.

After removing the USB devices (for music) and rebooting, the GPS worked again.

I am surprised that Tesla GPS can be affected by USB devices. It's very common that people use USB for music. And now Model Y has only one USB port in the glove box that can be connected for music. It's shared by the camera storage USB. If you want to listen to your own music from USB, you have to install a USB hub.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag
If you want to listen to your own music from USB, you have to install a USB hub.

If you're reasonably tech savvy, you can use a larger USB stick with separate partitions for sentry and music (lots of instructions in other posts on this site). Alternately, some USB hubs cause fewer GPS problems, including older USB 2.0 hubs. I've tried both approaches with success.

Ben

I have a 2023 Y purchased about two months ago and had the same issue (around 12/27th) with GPS navigation stuck. Did read up on fixes and did all the trouble shoot and no luck. I called Tesla and they try to do remote reset, but could not and had to take the car in for service. They replaced the GPS antenna, but now my dashcam recording does not work and my thumb drive port not working. Tested with different devices plugged into the port and no power light. Guessing tech forgot to plug back in a cable when replacing GPS antenna? Now schedule for service to drop off my car next week. This is 3rd issue with my car! Driving without dashcam to record accident or damage to the car... ughhhhh

Sharing my GPS saga in case it helps anyone...

After 6 visits, the service center concluded that the SSD I'd added was the cause of the issue:
...when storage drive activity occurs the GPS is Jammed. We verified this is being caused by the SSD in the glove box.
The SSD in question is a SanDisk z400s 256GB drive with a Sabrent SATA to USB adapter that I'd partitioned into a music drive and a sentrycam drive.

Previous diagnoses were:
  • Toll pass mounted too close to the rear-view mirror and causing interference
  • Hard reset and software reinstall needed
  • Known firmware issue (apparently fixed in December/January update)
  • GNSS antenna needed to be replaced and quick fix to selfie camera with copper tape wrap
  • Car computer needed to be replaced
My GPS would get "stuck" reporting one location -- sometime a screen reboot would help (it seemed to work better if the car was in motion when the reboot occurred), but often a reboot would do nothing. The location would be stuck for a day and then fix itself, other times a reboot would work until I next parked and then would be stuck again. I've not had the suspect SSD in the car for a couple of weeks, and the issue hasn't reproduced, so maybe its fixed?

This forum has been a great source of information, so I'm hoping this post helps someone else.

There are a couple of quickie things to check with teslas.

1. remove all USB connected devices, do a power off and on again (not a two finger scroll-wheel reset - I prefer to call this one the one finger salute and press the screen with my middle finger) Basically, do this for almost any problem first. It is amazing the number of issues taking out the USB will solve if the forums are any indication.

2. If you have a window not dropping down to open/close a door issue, look to see if your puddle lights are working. You don't have to have installed special puddle lights installed (the most common cause of this issue), even a burned out bulb will cause the issue.

3. A window that closes and drops down again often can be fixed by calibrating the windows.

(I'm sure others will chime in with other 'try first' suggestions.)

This weird habit of the car to stop working randomly is a frustration. It happens with ICE vehicles as they get more and more tech as well; anyone who has had any 'electrical issue' with an ICE vehicle will attest to that. It was cheaper for me to replace my headlight bulbs in my Prius every 3-6 months than send a mechanic looking for the problem at $$$ per hour.

But with a tesla it is compounded by software updates making it harder to narrow down the circumstances, especially when they don't identify what they messed with when doing 'bug fixes' and tesla is extremely poor at communications. For example: windows are also controlled by software so we all lost the vent option in the app. Without a warning. This was taken away because the force of closing a window was too high on some vehicles but this feature was removed by an update and returned by an update. On the other hand, my first window problem was a burned out lightbulb less than a year into owning the car. Is it hardware? Is it software? Even tesla techs don't know so swap parts sometimes when it is software or leave an owner with a major non-functioning feature claiming an update "soon" will fix it.

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
Sharing my GPS saga in case it helps anyone...

After 6 visits, the service center concluded that the SSD I'd added was the cause of the issue:

The SSD in question is a SanDisk z400s 256GB drive with a Sabrent SATA to USB adapter that I'd partitioned into a music drive and a sentrycam drive.

Previous diagnoses were:
  • Toll pass mounted too close to the rear-view mirror and causing interference
  • Hard reset and software reinstall needed
  • Known firmware issue (apparently fixed in December/January update)
  • GNSS antenna needed to be replaced and quick fix to selfie camera with copper tape wrap
  • Car computer needed to be replaced
My GPS would get "stuck" reporting one location -- sometime a screen reboot would help (it seemed to work better if the car was in motion when the reboot occurred), but often a reboot would do nothing. The location would be stuck for a day and then fix itself, other times a reboot would work until I next parked and then would be stuck again. I've not had the suspect SSD in the car for a couple of weeks, and the issue hasn't reproduced, so maybe its fixed?

This forum has been a great source of information, so I'm hoping this post helps someone else.
Good information. My 2021 MYLR is currently having similar issues and undergoing a computer repair.

Mine happened the same thing. 2023 MYLR with 112 miles on it. I had to turn off the wifi and disconnect from the LTE, then I connect to my phone HotSpot. After connecting to hotspot the GPS worked. After a few minutes, I disconnect with the hotspot and reconnect to LTE and now its working again.

From Tesla Advanced Support, when I got the same issue 5 days ago, and minor one 2 days later
==========================================================
In an attempt to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please unplug any USB connection or cable connected to the car and follow these steps to reset the touchscreen:
• Press and hold both scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black
• After approximately 30 seconds the Tesla logo will appear
• A few seconds later the touchscreen will restart

If this does not resolve your issues, please attempt to power off the car by following these steps:
• Ensure that the charging cable is removed
• From the touch screen, select 'Controls'
• Select 'Safety' and turn off the following options:
Cabin overheat protection (Off)
Sentry mode (Off)
Allow Mobile Access (Off)
• Select 'Power Off' and confirm on the pop-up that appears
• The car will power off, and the display will turn off. Please do not interact with your car; do not open the windows or doors, and do not press any of the buttons or pedals.
• After approximately 3 minutes, please press the brake pedal to power up the car again

I did all of that, and it didn't resolve the issue, so I reinstalled the firmware from the service mode, and still the issue persists

Then, as per Tesla advanced support, I did a Long press on the clock on the screen and allowed everything on the phone's settings for the Tesla app to fix any synch issue. After a couple of minutes drive, the problem was resolved.
===============================================

Schedule a service appointment on the following day, and they didn't find any issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two days later, I experienced "Poor GPS location accuracy" , affecting Cruise Control and Autopilot but not navigation. This wasn't as severe as Thursday's total GPS signal loss, and I'm still monitoring the situation before I schedule another appointment.

I have these connected to the USB (WD 1TB My Passport SSD USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 cable) and wireless charger
My Car : 2018 Model S HW3.0 MCU2.5 , SW version 2024.2.7

NEW update :(: I was chasing Tesla for the "Root Cause of the issue" and not a resolution. Finally, they admitted (attached) that they received multiple affected cars, and they identified the root cause and they promised to fix it in few days (Software issue)

My Car : 2018 Model S HW3.0 MCU2.5 , SW version 2024.8.7 (upgraded Yesterday)

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 23