Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gretna - speed bump broke mud flap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using the Gretna super chargers a bit recently as haven’t a charger at mums where I’m currently staying - unless you break the traffic flow system when you leave you need to go over a pretty chunky bricked speed bump to leave.

I’ve had a gentle brush of the front right mud flap on that before - but nothing (I thought) to worry about.

but a couple weeks ago there was an awful noise as I went over it. Drove home, forgot but now see the mud flap/splash guard whatever it is officially called that came with the car is detached along with what looks like it’s anchor screw... drivers side, front right wheel.

Has this happened to anyone else - and any top tips? Presumably if I contact Tesla they will charge me and need me to go to newcastle or edinburgh with it as it’s been while I drove it it’s not a factory problem. And they aren’t responsible for the services having an awful speed bump!!

Does anyone know costs/if they might keep my car longer than an appointment while i wait? Mum is currently on chemo so is immuno suppressed so I’m not keen on a hire car/other people driving mine then giving back as I’m being extra covid careful as well as she hasn’t had vaccine yet, and this is insignificant in comparison to risking her getting sick. (More sick) But just looking for any advice from the hive mind, and scoping out what would potentially happen if I do contact them.

Photos attached

FF1E39D0-EF7B-4EF6-A402-FC8F7D1F08EF.jpeg
06DC95C7-41BA-4ABC-925D-7E531D50B816.jpeg

FF1E39D0-EF7B-4EF6-A402-FC8F7D1F08EF.jpeg
D8424093-7B68-4DBE-8E24-0699AEA784EA.jpeg

Turn the wheel, remove the mud flap, clean it all up and refit.
It doesn't look damaged and at most you only need to add a screw that goes in to the inner wing plastic.

oh really? I thought it looks like a rahl plug style fitting that housed the screw has ripped out too - which made me think it was a bigger issue in that a new screw wouldn’t have a home. I’ll hose it down today and see if I can get in there and see what I can find - thanks

I have pattern mud flaps and they are held on with an existing plastic rivet with removable centre pin and one self tapper. There is nothing complicated about them and to be honest, are held on with just a wing and a prayer really.

Probably a good thing as if it was firmly fixed it would do more damage.

It won't need anything more than a couple of screwdrivers to remove it and re-fix. Not worth the bother of a trip to Tesla.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
I have pattern mud flaps and they are held on with an existing plastic rivet with removable centre pin and one self tapper. There is nothing complicated about them and to be honest, are held on with just a wing and a prayer really.

Probably a good thing as if it was firmly fixed it would do more damage.

It won't need anything more than a couple of screwdrivers to remove it and re-fix. Not worth the bother of a trip to Tesla.

great thanks - will give it my best shot this afternoon and see what’s what - thanks!