Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid Charging PW with Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my system installed and noticed that it looks like the grid charges the powerwalls every so often. Any ideas on whats going on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-191806_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-191806_Tesla.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 64
The other thing is that during fluctuating load, the Powerwalls don't always instantly follow the power changes, so there are continuous small inflows and outflows. At any instant, you might see some flow that is not expected. It all averages out to the correct amount, though.

I am still having issues that should not happen like nothing is showing yet power actually flows as it should be.
Or the house not using any power at all for a good duration that is not possible.
So, it looks like it is a temporary glitch?

How is the system sett up, self-powered? How much backup reserve?

I am still having issues that should not happen like nothing is showing yet power actually flows as it should be.
Or the house not using any power at all for a good duration that is not possible.
So, it looks like it is a temporary glitch?

How is the system sett up, self-powered? How much backup reserve?
If you are not getting any data (no power used in home) you may have issues with the Powerwall Gateway (not that stupid little box) communications via WiFi or LAN. You may also have bad CT and the data becomes nothing.

Check your router to be sure the gateway WiFi has at least a good signal. Else call Tesla and describe the issue - I don't know of any house that uses no power at all. (Watch TV while you look at the display. )

Well, it works well frequently, then not so much like the house is sending power to someplace instead of receiving.
If wi-fi- is weak, phone takes over as that option is also on.
And, there is a very good Ac type repeater installed and boost well. Still have issues on and off.

I just got my system installed and noticed that it looks like the grid charges the powerwalls every so often. Any ideas on whats going on?

Is it really charging the powerwall?

I see it a short connection, 10 seconds or less of a small amount of current (500W or less) going to the grid every once in a while. I assumed that the Gateway's way of testing that the grid is still there and can take power. I sometimes see a similar short low current pull from the grid happen even though the home is running just fine off the solar and PWs. I again assume this the Gateway verifying the grid.

FWIW, it seems that monitoring the connection with the App has an effect on this. When I go from the PW screen to the PowerFlow display this happens within 30 seconds. It even shows as a sharp spike on the Energy Usage screen. But, if I don't move between screens on the app these spikes are not present

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin