Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid usage unchanged! [electric usage between tesla and utility do not agree]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 14.4KWh solar and two power walls installed June 15 2022 PTO August 30 2022. Grid usage has been constant for ten years at 30 to 50KWH per day. Tesla app shows Grid usage at Zero to 0.2KW per day. Utility uses Smartmeter which records input output every 15 minutes. This shows and bills me grid usage as 30 to 50 KWh per day as always, and shows Tesla exporting power in the afternoon. Had meter checked by utility which i witnessed its 100.03% accurate. 6 weeks of trying to get Tesla tier 2 to investigate they now say the exported power is being confused as grid usage by the utility, who say it is not. Investigated installation to find no CTs installed at all either on utility input or Tesla I/O. Gateway has L1and L2 CTs built in. Without CTs how can they know the Utility usage ?
So utility say meter is good Tesla say they are good I say i just wasted $47,000 ..my grid usage is the same no matter what the Tesla app claims....they will not come look at the installation. Any ideas?

Post a video of your meter in the middle of the day when you should be exporting. I bet your meter is not setup to back feed and the are billing you for back feeding the grid as consumption.
And congratulations on your new system.
My meter reports ‘del’ and ‘rec’, and the bars move to the left when the meter reads that you are exporting.. if the meter has not been reprogrammed the bars will only go to the right because meter is truncating the sign/direction of power flow. Back when we had mechanical meters you could flip the meter over and the meter would run backwards.
Meter can be programmed remotely, the will tell you it can’t. I got 17 cameras that say they never showed up and my meter base still has the tag cut.

Last edited: