Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groove and score marks on the rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed groove marks on the brake rotors (drive side front and rear). Car has less than 6000 miles and with recent regen updates, brakes are rarely applied - as shown in the picture brakes discs has developed surfaced rust.

After visually checking the pads, both front and rear seem to have enough meat and also checked if there was anything stuck between the pads and rotors for unusual grooves or anything with repeated contact. This is unusual and would not be an issue with both... Assuming this would be due to a faulty rotor/pads?

124246.jpg 164131.jpg 164157.jpg

Go for a few spirited stops. I’ll bet they go away.

Bet not. Those look too deep and you're not going to wear that much off in a couple "spirited drives", if you did they'd be warped.

I know a lot of Tesla owners love washing their cars. Make sure you take a "spirited drive" after washing your car.
Washing is a tough case because often the car (brakes) are not hot when you wash the car so the water sits there and gets behind the pads.

In rain, while you're driving, even with regen the disks should normally stay warm enough to evaporate water when you park.

My rotors are pristine. I use Creep and I always do a spirited drive after washing, not sure if either would have prevented your case.

It could be something as basic as the Performance+ larger rotors stay all that much cooler and tend not to evaporate off the water as much doing normal efficient driving.