Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $1200, sign me up - where do I send the money. Matte finish. He should also do the front lip, I would be interested in that matching also.

They are looking into doing other carbon fiber pieces like mirrors, front chin, possibly custom steering wheel...Like I said they are the VERY BEST in the business and hopefully the demand they get from us in the forum will show them that the Model S deserves carbon fiber love!

They are looking into doing other carbon fiber pieces like mirrors, front chin, possibly custom steering wheel...Like I said they are the VERY BEST in the business and hopefully the demand they get from us in the forum will show them that the Model S deserves carbon fiber love!

How easy is it to install offsite (for us cowboys down here in Texas)??

Please add me as interested pending price

+1 for me

- - - Updated - - -

I've been looking into getting Mirrors, front lip and down the side rockers as well.

MAcarbon Diffuser, Tesla, Group Buys Etc.

Hi All,

Sorry for coming late to this thread. I had a nice post typed out yesterday and then the computer died. I did another one earlier today and then after an hour typing... 'You are not logged in'. Gone!

First, MAcarbon specializes in carbon fiber parts for exotic and premium cars. We have a extensive line for Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes and McLaren. We are headquartered in Belmont, California. We manufacture our parts in our two workshops. One in Montreal Canada and the other in Liege Belgium. We do things in-house, its just a big house! We've been in business since 2004 with our ten year anniversary a few months away. I would advise you to check out our website (MAcarbon - Carbon Fiber for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and More) and Google us. I'm confident you'll like what you see.

We've been looking at Tesla since the Roadster came out. In fact, the old Tesla San Carlos headquarters were 10 minutes from our shop. Despite that fact plus a few years of driving past the Palo Alto showroom, and now seeing Model Ss flying all around the Bay Area, we had not moved on the brand. It often takes one person, like Jerry, to push us if the project is a little out of our Ferrari/Porsche comfort zone. But we're excited to be working with Jerry on his car. And the enthusiasm we've seen from Tesla owners is very encouraging.

When this project was first proposed, it was as a group buy. Normally, I despise group buys. The organizer (in this case Jerry) spends a bunch of time corralling a group of people into committing to buying something where the motivating factor is a discount. Then half the people flake and the organizer is left standing there having wasted all his time. The vendor looks like a jerk if they don't then honor the group buy price.
On this diffuser, we were going to do it for Jerry whether he had ten people interested or just him. Jerry's piece is inbound and we'll start next week. It will take us about 3 weeks or so. We did make an estimate of $1200 plus shipping. That price is for the first five orders. Those first five customers will get the best price. We price our work the best we can but small volume manufacturing is not a low cost business. Nor is making a quality part.

These diffusers will be a laminate product. We do both molded and laminate. A molded part is pure carbon whereas lamination is carbon over the original piece. Each method has benefits and drawbacks. Once installed however, it's very hard to tell the two types apart. In this case we'll be using lamination. Here is a write up on the process of lamination showing the amount of work involved. Lamination (or molded for that matter) is not rocket science but takes quality materials and skilled workmanship to produce the results that our customers require. Carbon Lamination

Thanks for reading through all of this. We'd like to hear about other parts you might be looking for. Our specialty is really the interior. Exterior stuff is cool but I like a customer to really see and appreciate where they've put their modding funds every time they are behind the wheel. So let us know what you would be interested in.

I've also attached a few pictures of a laminate diffuser we did for a customer's C63. Sorry they are a little dark.

John Borchelt
MAcarbon

Attachments

• diffuser_2-1.jpg
    diffuser_2-1.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 253
  • diffuser_3-3.jpg
    diffuser_3-3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 239
  • diffuser_4-2.jpg
    diffuser_4-2.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 237
Are these diffusers easy to takeoff and reinstall even for people like me that aren't particularly good at DIY?

I'm also curious to know how hard it is to replace the diffuser. I just have a basic car jack and I'm wondering if that would be enough. At $1200, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger... My diffuser is currently vinyl wrapped in carbon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21193&d=1367427831.jpg

But I also have my nosecone and mirrors wrapped, so might slowly but surely convert them to real CF:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21191&d=1367427830.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=21190&d=1367427829.jpg

I'm in for that price and keeping the original diffuser. Will there be an option for finish (matte or gloss)?

Also if I send them my nose cone can they do that?

Absolutely there is an option for finish....I would suggest calling them and speaking to John about the nose cone....

- - - Updated - - -

Are these diffusers easy to takeoff and reinstall even for people like me that aren't particularly good at DIY?

I haven't done it myself yet, but when I went to Tesla to pick up the diffuser they said you need to remove the bumper. If your not a DIYer, I suggest any local body shop or even Tesla if they are close to you. I will try to find out this week what exactly it takes and timeframe to give people ideas for cost.

John from MaCarbon.com tried posting to the forum but had some issues so I am posting what he emailed below......He is also working on mirrors and front chin...More to follow on that later.....

"Hi All,

Sorry for coming late to this thread. I had a nice post typed out yesterday and then the computer died. Another one today and then after an hour typing... 'You are not logged in'.

First, MAcarbon specialized in carbon fiber parts for the interior and exterior of exotic and premium cars. We have a pretty complete line for Audi R8, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes and McLaren. We are headquartered in Belmont, California. We manufacture our parts in our two workshops. One in Montreal Canada and the other in Liege Belgium. We do things in-house, its just a big house! We've been in business since 2004 with our ten year anniversary a few months away. I would advise you to check out our website (www.macarbon.com) and Google us. I'm pretty confident you'll like what you see.

We've been looking at Tesla since the Roadster came out. In fact, the old Tesla San Carlos headquarters were 10 minutes from our shop. Despite a few years of driving past the Palo Alto showroom, and now seeing Model Ss flying all around the Bay Area, we had not moved on the brand. It often takes one person, like Jerry, to push us if the project is a little out of our Ferrari/Porsche comfort zone. But we're excited to be working with Jerry on his car. And the enthusiasm we've seen from Tesla owners is very encouraging.

When this project was first proposed, it was as a group buy. Normally, I despise group buys. The organizer (in this case Jerry) spends a bunch of time corralling a group of people into committing to buying something where the motivating factor is a discount. Then half the people flake and the organizer is left standing there having wasted all his time. The vendor looks like a jerk if they don't then honor the group buy price. The whole thing to me just turns into a bunch of work for everyone.
On this diffuser, we were going to do it for Jerry whether he had ten people interested or just him. Jerry's piece is inbound and we'll start next week.

As for pricing, we've estimated the piece at $1200 plus domestic ground shipping. That will be the price for the first five customers from this thread."

Jerry, do you have an email address for John? I'm in Montreal so if the parts are made here, maybe I can save a few dollars picking them up myself.

And if the parts are actually made here, I could bring my car there to have them test fit stuff maybe...

If you could get Andre Pouliot's email address from John, I could write to him directly, he runs the shop here in Montreal.

Thanks!

Jerry, do you have an email address for John? I'm in Montreal so if the parts are made here, maybe I can save a few dollars picking them up myself.

And if the parts are actually made here, I could bring my car there to have them test fit stuff maybe...

If you could get Andre Pouliot's email address from John, I could write to him directly, he runs the shop here in Montreal.

Thanks!

I PMed you John's contact info.......

John from MaCarbon.com tried posting to the forum but had some issues so I am posting what he emailed below......He is also working on mirrors and front chin...More to follow on that later.....

Mod Note: John's post was in moderation and as you're all aware we're pretty strict on advertising. I discussed with the other mods and I've approved the post (see up-thread) and moved this whole thread to Parts For Sale. That should keep everyone happy.