Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Sorry for coming late to this thread. I had a nice post typed out yesterday and then the computer died. I did another one earlier today and then after an hour typing... 'You are not logged in'. Gone!

First, MAcarbon specializes in carbon fiber parts for exotic and premium cars. We have a extensive line for Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes and McLaren. We are headquartered in Belmont, California. We manufacture our parts in our two workshops. One in Montreal Canada and the other in Liege Belgium. We do things in-house, its just a big house! We've been in business since 2004 with our ten year anniversary a few months away. I would advise you to check out our website (MAcarbon - Carbon Fiber for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and More) and Google us. I'm confident you'll like what you see.

We've been looking at Tesla since the Roadster came out. In fact, the old Tesla San Carlos headquarters were 10 minutes from our shop. Despite that fact plus a few years of driving past the Palo Alto showroom, and now seeing Model Ss flying all around the Bay Area, we had not moved on the brand. It often takes one person, like Jerry, to push us if the project is a little out of our Ferrari/Porsche comfort zone. But we're excited to be working with Jerry on his car. And the enthusiasm we've seen from Tesla owners is very encouraging.

When this project was first proposed, it was as a group buy. Normally, I despise group buys. The organizer (in this case Jerry) spends a bunch of time corralling a group of people into committing to buying something where the motivating factor is a discount. Then half the people flake and the organizer is left standing there having wasted all his time. The vendor looks like a jerk if they don't then honor the group buy price.
On this diffuser, we were going to do it for Jerry whether he had ten people interested or just him. Jerry's piece is inbound and we'll start next week. It will take us about 3 weeks or so. We did make an estimate of $1200 plus shipping. That price is for the first five orders. Those first five customers will get the best price. We price our work the best we can but small volume manufacturing is not a low cost business. Nor is making a quality part.

These diffusers will be a laminate product. We do both molded and laminate. A molded part is pure carbon whereas lamination is carbon over the original piece. Each method has benefits and drawbacks. Once installed however, it's very hard to tell the two types apart. In this case we'll be using lamination. Here is a write up on the process of lamination showing the amount of work involved. Lamination (or molded for that matter) is not rocket science but takes quality materials and skilled workmanship to produce the results that our customers require. Carbon Lamination

Thanks for reading through all of this. We'd like to hear about other parts you might be looking for. Our specialty is really the interior. Exterior stuff is cool but I like a customer to really see and appreciate where they've put their modding funds every time they are behind the wheel. So let us know what you would be interested in.

I've also attached a few pictures of a laminate diffuser we did for a customer's C63. Sorry they are a little dark.

John Borchelt
MAcarbon

Wow, I feel like this has come full circle. I met John when I was his first customer for CF grille bars for the McLaren 12C, where he delivered a perfect match for the factory CF front valence. I recall asking him about fabricating a CF rear valence for the Model S, but he indicated that MACarbon specialized in fabricating smaller CF parts. At the time we didn't discuss a CF overlay (lamination) as an option. Subsequently, I had Sound Innovations do the CF overlay, which is pictured at the top of this thread.

I can definitely vouch for the quality of John's work, and feel that $1200 is a good price, as my one off was around $2000. The closest comparable CF part I could find was a BMW F10 M5 rear diffuser for $900, and those are obviously manufactured in higher volumes.

Last edited:
Did you give John your credit card info to reserve a first 5 spot?

I emailed John requesting the diffuser and potential front lip, and he emailed the following:

Best to call us at the shop if you want one at that price. It's a lot more work than we thought. I looked at a lip yesterday at the Menlo park store. Its massive. We won't be doing it.

I really have not had the time to get on the phone to discuss it, and I really am looking for a matching front lip, so I thought I would sit it out for now. I'm already doing exterior pieces on my Roadster in a few weeks, so figure I better slow down for now. ;-)

Update

Hi All,

Sorry I've not been posting to the thread much. Been a very busy week at the shop.

We put two diffusers into production last week. I went to Tesla today and picked up another three. We've taken three orders (Jerry, Jerry's friend and Arthur H) so far with two more spots open. I emailed tonight the people who had expressed interest. I know it sounds a bit fake: "Order now, before the price goes up" - but I'm pretty certain that I way underestimated the project. Just the box we had to use to ship these in (our lamination workshop is in Belgium) made FedEx shareholders smile.... So if we do more than these, it will be a bit higher than $1200.

One other reason I don't see us keeping it at this price is that it can't function as a loss leader or Thrifty 15 cent ice cream (remember that?!) to introduce us to Tesla owners. I found out last week, we can't do any Tesla interior parts - which is our main focus. I had planned on us coming out with an interior trim package to CF all of the bright silver trim. However, all of that trim is part of the panels each is on and can not be removed (at least easily) and is not available without buying entire door panels etc. The silver dash strip is part of the dash pad. So if you can't do the strip on the doors, not much sense on doing anything else. So that was a torpedo in the plans for us to do much Tesla stuff.

But we'll get these diffuser done and they will look great. Thanks everyone for the interest!

Here is the diffuser 'almost done'.....Cant wait

2013-10-18 16.46.52.jpg