Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m having a big issue. Everything was working perfectly well. Then earlier today, i hooked up the footwell, 3 wires. Black to the Light’s black, green to the Light’s white, and the red to the main power’s red. As soon as I did that, and plugged the power back in, the footwell never worked, and the unit closed once then turned off. I tried everything and the device will not stay on for more than 10 red blinks of the light next to power.

I have the frunk kit not installed yet and so I used the Trunk’s power line to power the frunk unit and it stays on fine. The trunk computer stays on log enough to shut the trunk let’s say then dies again. Then won’t turn on for 10 minutes, then i unplug and plug back in and only stays on for a short period and dies again.

I have no idea what happened, but wondering if anyone has had a bad unit?

So I’m having a big issue. Everything was working perfectly well. Then earlier today, i hooked up the footwell, 3 wires. Black to the Light’s black, green to the Light’s white, and the red to the main power’s red. As soon as I did that, and plugged the power back in, the footwell never worked, and the unit closed once then turned off. I tried everything and the device will not stay on for more than 10 red blinks of the light next to power.

I have the frunk kit not installed yet and so I used the Trunk’s power line to power the frunk unit and it stays on fine. The trunk computer stays on log enough to shut the trunk let’s say then dies again. Then won’t turn on for 10 minutes, then i unplug and plug back in and only stays on for a short period and dies again.

I have no idea what happened, but wondering if anyone has had a bad unit?

Your light cable has 4 wires black, white, blue and red right?

Yes, white went to green, black went to black. I’m chatting with the manuf. on WhatsApp so hopefully they can help me and right now it was on long enough to close and lock the trunk. It’s weird. It lasts for just 20 seconds then dies. They are sending me a video to try to reset it.

Wow—no trunk lights? Really? All the write-ups and reviews and this is the first we’re hearing about this? For those who have already installed THIS kit, would you please confirm—lights or no lights?!? Thanks.

The Hansshow kit has light connectors that you reconnect your existing lights to so that they work. Not sure if the kit being mentioned here is the Hansshow or not.

How did you manage to wire the cables from the actuators into the trunk without removing the bumper? I had to remove mine because I couldn't find any other way to get to the two grommets to get the wires in. That said, removing the bumper wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

The Teslaraj, Teslatunity and i1Tesla videos I believe all show it routed through the tail lights. That is also what it shows in the manual from Hansshow:
Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

Not bad. However, in one of the videos the guy from California that put his car up on ramps, he apparently didn’t have a screw you have to remove at the far edge of each side of the bumper (towards the front of car). I had to unscrew that to remove the bumper. If you don’t you will probably break that plastic piece against the car that is supposed to stay there. Also, he recommends masking taping the metal above the side of the bumper, and I recommend you do that.

I ran into this as well. Took me a bit to figure out that Torx screw was there and I had a heck of a time getting one of them back on because the clip on the bumper side fell off and I had some trouble getting it lined back up again.

The Teslaraj, Teslatunity and i1Tesla videos I believe all show it routed through the tail lights. That is also what it shows in the manual from Hansshow:
Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

The Hansshow instructions obviously leave much to be desired, but I'm pretty sure it's actually showing it going through the blue grommets that are behind the bumper, but I could be wrong. I think trying to insert it through the tail light hole could lead to issues because there's not a lot of space in there, but if it's working for others, I guess it might be okay.

The Hansshow instructions obviously leave much to be desired, but I'm pretty sure it's actually showing it going through the blue grommets that are behind the bumper, but I could be wrong. I think trying to insert it through the tail light hole could lead to issues because there's not a lot of space in there, but if it's working for others, I guess it might be okay.

Did you have to remove the two blue connectors from each of the struts to get it through the blue grommet?

Attachments

• 15717137425872297507793234524416.jpg
    15717137425872297507793234524416.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 50
I haven't started yet, but any sealant needed going through these or other grommets in the project?
I didn’t finish yet as I’m having issues with static electricity putting unit to sleep. I’m working with manuf on it. It may be something in trunklid wiring. But I’m going to slice the blue grommet to allow it to wrap around those wires then probably silicone it to get a good seal. I’ll do the sealing from inside the trunk as I have the bumper on already. I didn’t like the way the wire fit in the taillight opening. Under bumper is way better.

Reactions: woodisgood
Question for folks with the frunk kits....
Sometimes when I'm putting a lot of stuff in my frunk, I'm not 100% sure it will fit without loading /flexing the hood (which is bad). So in those uncertain times I lower the hood very slowly to ensure there is not contact with my cargo before I cinch the hood closed. Does this kit allow you to do something like this? Or does it just close and cinch and cross your fingers that you don't load / flex the hood doing it? Thanks

The electric struts aren't strong enough to bend a hood. It will just stop and not close.

View attachment 468296 View attachment 468297 There is a small chance for water leaks to the trunk if you run the strut wires though the taillamp connector holes. The taillamp has a gasket to prevent water leak. I have a little concern that water might get into the trunk though the strut cable.

Just run the wire down below the hole and loop it ( small loop ) back up.

• Informative
Reactions: not4antoher