Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'guest' access / valet access during PPF install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know variations of this question have been asked but not with the exact answers I was looking for:
I have 2 key cards (which I don't use), a key fob (same) and my phone (which acts as the key 100% of the time so far).

I am scheduling an install of XPEL PPF across the front of the car in a couple of weeks. The car will be at the installer for 2 days.
How do I provide access to the vehicle in a restricted way, so that they can work on it and move it around the shop as needed but not go on a joy ride ?

Can I set Valet mode for a specific key (card for instance)? Otherwise, if Valet mode is set for anyone with car access, couldn't they just undo the setting and go for a blast around the countryside?
Thank you for any inputs.

Allowing them to be able to move it around the shop, is contradictory to preventing them for "going for a joyride"... after all, they need to be able to move it.

Well, you can set a speed limit in valet mode in safety features... At least it'll limit their ability to blast around anywhere to 80 kph.

You can also track the location of the car in the app... and they should know that if they've worked on Teslas.

But realistically, you should do a bit more research about the shop you're taking it to. Reputable shops won't do that kind of thing, so if you can't find any type of info/review that can sufficiently give you the confidence to trust them, then you should find another shop until you do.

Why don't you just note the mileage when you drop it off (don't they write that on the work order anyway?) and then check it on pickup?

Admittedly that won't stop 'em from "blasting around the countryside", but at least you'd know about it

...on second thoughts, maybe it's better to not know 🤡

Reactions: pvanosta
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the question is: can Valet mode be associated with a specific key or key card, so that the card I give to the shop only has 'valet privileges' once I walk away from the car?
Valet mode is global. You set it and then no matter what key unlocks the car it's still in valet until you disable it via the PIN entered on the screen.

Reactions: Prairie
I had a valet mode issue so I'm adding it to this thread.

Background. I was getting new tires and thought I'd be getting them installed on the way to work so I wanted to lock my laptop in the frunk. I'd never tried valet mode so I thought I do that. I entered valet mode on my phone, entered a PIN, etc. I turned BT on my phone off and checked that it worked OK. Then it turns out the tire shop didn't get my tires and I'd have to come back the next day.

I drove away (can't remember if I used the key card or re-enabled BT on my phone) after disabling valet mode via phone app.
But the walk away lock did not work when I got out of the car and my phone did not unlock the car that evening or the next morning.
I just left it as is since the next day I stopped and got my tires installed. Again my phone as key did not work again...but wait, after I enabled valet mode my phone did work as a key but when I disabled valet mode it stopped working as a key. My phone did work as a phone within the car since I used it to call the tire company and check if my tires were in.

I'm guessing that I need to remove my phone as a key and enable it again while not in valet mode.