Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hack to Save All Sentry Cam Video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car does a surprisingly good job of recording my surfing, but only for the ten minutes prior to approaching the car (or if someone else goes near it).

For example (color modified, sound added):

I know it's unlikely, but any clever hacks to get it to record and save all the video? Brainstorming: An Energizer Bunny that flops around in front of the camera and keeps triggering an event??

The car does a surprisingly good job of recording my surfing, but only for the ten minutes prior to approaching the car (or if someone else goes near it).

For example (color modified, sound added):

I know it's unlikely, but any clever hacks to get it to record and save all the video? Brainstorming: An Energizer Bunny that flops around in front of the camera and keeps triggering an event??
Pretty sure the loop is 1h worth. Last 10 minutes are saved a different folder in case of an event (honking, sentry, etc) Past an hour you do need a different hack :)

Pretty sure the loop is 1h worth. Last 10 minutes are saved a different folder in case of an event (honking, sentry, etc) Past an hour you do need a different hack :)
Whoa, thanks.

Yes, it seems there's an hour's worth of video in TeslaCam/RecentClips. When I come in from surfing, I'll switch USB drives or find some other way to keep that from getting overwritten.

Glad I asked.

why wouldnt you use a go pro as mentioned? You could even put it on your dash or something. It would eventually pay for itself since you wouldn't need to try to keep your car awake with sentry mode to record other stuff.
You've got a good point, but one reason is that a GoPro costs $400. I'm just experimenting at this point. It wouldn't pay for itself, but it might be worth the investment.

Note that I always want Sentry Mode on while I'm surfing, and keeping the car awake isn't a problem.

I may buy some kind of video camera and set it up on a tripod on the beach. It could get stolen, so I'd want a cheaper one.

I formatted a second USB drive for the car, and before I surf I'll switch the drives, then switch them back when I come in. That will get the last hour at least. I don't have a way to manage files unless I were to take my laptop.