Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware Version 2.0 Limitations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been told by Tesla Service that there is not yet a hardware conversion kit to upgrade a V2.0 computer to a V3.0 computer, for those who have purchased the FSD option. They also told me that even after the update to the V3.0 computer, cars that originally were built with V2.0, will still not be able to use dash cam or other camera views, due to the lower quality cameras originally used in these older cars (cars built between ~Nov 2016 and Aud 2017). Has anyone else heard anything about this and how to fully update to take advantage if new security and Theater mode features?

Tbh, I don’t think ap2.0 will be another ap1.0.

According to @verygreen, it looks like ap2.0 is lacking of redundant hardware:
* No-redundant wiring
* red-black-white cameras
* old steering column

might be Tesla will suggest ap2.0 owners buy a new car with a FSD discount coupon code.

Tbh, I don’t think ap2.0 will be another ap1.0.

According to @verygreen, it looks like ap2.0 is lacking of redundant hardware:
* No-redundant wiring
* red-black-white cameras
* old steering column

might be Tesla will suggest ap2.0 owners buy a new car with a FSD discount coupon code.
The FSD discount would not be a good option for me! Maybe, if they also covered my depreciation, too. !

the cameras are not lower quality (same sensor and lens), they just have a different color filter installed that does not allow for as easy color reconstruction.

The camera updates sound like something that could be updated, fairly in expensively. Wonder if the redundant wiring would be a dealbreaker? It just seems like they should keep the promise they made, when I bought the FSD option.

The camera updates sound like something that could be updated, fairly in expensively. Wonder if the redundant wiring would be a dealbreaker? It just seems like they should keep the promise they made, when I bought the FSD option.

I don't care what the issues are. I was sold a car with FSD and I paid for FSD 3 years ago. If I do not get a car with FSD I will surely be part of the next class action suit.

Reactions: am_dmd
I don't care what the issues are. I was sold a car with FSD and I paid for FSD 3 years ago. If I do not get a car with FSD I will surely be part of the next class action suit.
It's amazing how fast people get on the "class action suit" bandwagon without realizing they will never get fully compensated - maybe you'll get a coupon for your next Tesla purchase. Which I would guess Tesla will eventually do for those like yourself with 2.0 but paid for FSD, without being compelled to do so in a lawsuit.

It's amazing how fast people get on the "class action suit" bandwagon without realizing they will never get fully compensated - maybe you'll get a coupon for your next Tesla purchase. Which I would guess Tesla will eventually do for those like yourself with 2.0 but paid for FSD, without being compelled to do so in a lawsuit.

Amazing How Fast? I paid for a feature 3 years ago... What about those that also bought a Tesla on lease and that vehicle is now reaching maturity and gets returned without ever seeing what they paid for? Eventually Tesla needs to be taught a lesson to stop promising stuff they cant deliver.

Nothing about the camera color filters or redundant wiring prohibits an AP2 to HW3 upgrade providing FSD features. Sentry Mode (AP2.5+) and Theater (MCU2) have nothing to do with FSD however. For whatever reason they don't provide Dash Cam on AP2, either the red/gray color filter on cameras or perhaps AP2 isn't able to encode and transfer that video to USB, I don't think anyone knows if the functionality will be delivered with the HW3 upgrade. I wouldn't trust any source in Tesla service to provide accurate information about what a yet undeveloped or undelivered upgrade will provide.

The Tesla theater though isn't going to be delivered with HW3 upgrade unless it requires an MCU2 upgrade for some reason.

My knowledge of the internal wiring is very limited, but based on installing one of the phone screen mirroring kits, the camera connections for AP2 and AP2.5 seem to be different at the APE. My rear camera connection wasn't where the documentation indicated for an AP2+ install and required a little trial and error to locate. It was on the driver's side of the APE, not the passenger's side as the videos I watched showed.

Nothing about the camera color filters or redundant wiring prohibits an AP2 to HW3 upgrade providing FSD features. Sentry Mode (AP2.5+) and Theater (MCU2) have nothing to do with FSD however. For whatever reason they don't provide Dash Cam on AP2, either the red/gray color filter on cameras or perhaps AP2 isn't able to encode and transfer that video to USB, I don't think anyone knows if the functionality will be delivered with the HW3 upgrade. I wouldn't trust any source in Tesla service to provide accurate information about what a yet undeveloped or undelivered upgrade will provide.

The Tesla theater though isn't going to be delivered with HW3 upgrade unless it requires an MCU2 upgrade for some reason.

My knowledge of the internal wiring is very limited, but based on installing one of the phone screen mirroring kits, the camera connections for AP2 and AP2.5 seem to be different at the APE. My rear camera connection wasn't where the documentation indicated for an AP2+ install and required a little trial and error to locate. It was on the driver's side of the APE, not the passenger's side as the videos I watched showed.
If it's going to truly be "FSD," the redundancies in 2.5 and 3 are necessary.

Hi @Pshattuck,

Please check out the thread below - MCU1 AP 2.0 Upgraded to MCU3 and AP/HW 3.0
It leaves the AP 2 cameras in place - They are NOT upgraded.
He also shows TeslaCam videos with the older cameras...
They are great for security purposes but as he mentions the colors are a bit washed out.

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

It's a good read. He is the first known upgrade from AP2 to HW 3.0 (By Tesla)

Shawn