Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been to a full Supercharging station?

Have you stopped at a full Supercharger

• Yes

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • No and I don't think it will become a problem

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • No, but I think it will become a problem

Votes: 27 21.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a snapshot of Supercharger status on a Saturday afternoon (today) in the south half of the San Francisco Bay Area (Silicon Valley and north). This is fairly typical and similar to what you can see weekday evenings.

Note that four Supercharger locations are currently full and three have a single spot left – two of these locations just went live in the last month or so (San Jose and Los Gatos):

supercharger-map.jpg

There are two more Supercharger sites about to be completed soon on this map: one in Milpitas (16 stalls) and another in south San Jose.

And for perspective, it's about 30 miles across this map horizontally.

Last edited:
That was 2 years ago. Has it happened since?
Well, they’ve added several SC locations, including a 40-stall in Baker & Kettleman City, 24-stall in Santa Clarita and a bunch Buttonwillow. Then again, there are 2-4x more Teslas on the road now. Will it work this Thanksgiving? That’s the biggest question now.

Today I did a 700 km round trip from Kamloops to Bellingham. Visited 3 superchargers, saw 2 other Teslas. Around this area when you see someone else supercharging it is like seeing a long lost friend; conversations are plentiful. One of the fellows was about 75 and just picked up his new model 3 yesterday; first time supercharging. :) He lives in a small city several hundred miles from the nearest supercharger.

Reactions: bmah
Out of more than 258 Supercharges I've seen a handful of full stations:

• Green River UT in June 2016 — 2 of 4 stalls were down and three cars needed charging. I left early so the third car could take my spot, a mistake since I ended up having to drive more slowly than I wanted to Richfield UT.

• San Juan Capistrano CA in September 2016 — full with cars waiting so I passed it by and managed to make it to Fountain Valley instead.

• Fountain Valley CA in September 2016 — full with cars waiting so I came back a few hours later, after dinner, and nabbed a spot so that I could get back to San Diego (in those days the lone San Diego Supercharger Station was never full when I visited it).

• San Diego (Qualcomm) CA in September 2018 — Had to wait a minute or so for a stall to open at 10 PM. Another owner told me that Carlsbad had just opened that day so the next day I went there instead.

• Santa Ana CA in September 2018 — it was full so I came back ten hours later at night, after a day of activities, and got a stall so that I could return to San Diego.

That's not a lot for hundreds of Supercharging Station visits.

Both San Marcos (5 spots) and North Austin (8) have been full. I even sat on the L2 charger in North Austin for 15 minutes waiting. Not a huge deal, although San Marcos could use a couple more spots. Tesla may not since they are putting more in San Antonio and Austin.

:)