Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done a chrome delete using Plastidip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be very difficult to adequately spray the entire mirror assembly while it is attached to the car. It's easier to do when the entire assembly is separated from the car (with much less masking), but then you have the problem of not being able to fold the mirrors. I haven't figured out a solution to do this yet. There is a video floating around where the rotating mirror assembly is rotated toward the front of the car and popped off the chrome base, but there is very little slack in the wiring to allow meaningful separation, at least in my experience. I was successful with the driver's side mirror, but not the passenger side.

The door trim comes off fairly easily except for the rear angled piece attached to the small windows and the side cameras are easy to pop out, as well.

The badges were sprayed over when I dipped the entire car and I just put some decals over those.

It will be very difficult to adequately spray the entire mirror assembly while it is attached to the car. It's easier to do when the entire assembly is separated from the car (with much less masking), but then you have the problem of not being able to fold the mirrors. I haven't figured out a solution to do this yet. There is a video floating around where the rotating mirror assembly is rotated toward the front of the car and popped off the chrome base, but there is very little slack in the wiring to allow meaningful separation, at least in my experience. I was successful with the driver's side mirror, but not the passenger side.

The door trim comes off fairly easily except for the rear angled piece attached to the small windows and the side cameras are easy to pop out, as well.

The badges were sprayed over when I dipped the entire car and I just put some decals over those.

Interesting, thanks for your help mate!

Forget plastidip that is 2010 era tech - you want liquid ppf/wrap.

Look into Sprayshield and Autoflex Express and paint booth equipped installers (example ProDipperNYC). Many Model 3s, other Teslas and other Make/Models doing chrome deletes this way (all surfaces including our mirror housings or the oversized BMW Lexus grills)

Forget plastidip that is 2010 era tech - you want liquid ppf/wrap.

Look into Sprayshield and Autoflex Express and paint booth equipped installers (example ProDipperNYC). Many Model 3s, other Teslas and other Make/Models doing chrome deletes this way (all surfaces including our mirror housings or the oversized BMW Lexus grills)

Awesome thanks mate ill check it out

Reactions: Perscitus
Hi Guys!!!

Thought I'd share how it came out:

Prep:

IMG_20191130_122530.jpg

IMG_20191130_133959.jpg

IMG_20191130_134757.jpg

And the dipping begins:

IMG_20191130_152538.jpg

IMG_20191130_162609.jpg

And done:

IMG_20191130_181253.jpg

IMG_20191130_181320.jpg

IMG_20191211_134737 (1).jpg

IMG_20191211_135345.jpg

Really happy with the results.

There are a few touch ups needed but I'll be waiting till the summer to redo those its as the winter isnt the best time to plastidip I've learned.

Few tips:

- Keep the PlastiDip can in warm water before using (paint comes out much smoother)
- Be so so so careful with your taping as if its too much on the edge it ends up pulling off the PlastiDip when your taking it off
- Some areas, you can keep a gap between where you want to dip and the tape (about an inch gap) - let it go onto the paint work as once its dried its very easy to peel off the car's paint work - This is better than taping right onto the edge of the chrome bits

Such an awesome way of chrome deleting.