Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The outside mirror posts on my 2020 MX are too shiny!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I just purchased a 2020 MX and I love the car. However, the chrome on the passenger outside mirror post is reflecting in the windshield and it's driving me nuts. I'm not a big fan of chrome anyway and was thinking about doing a chrome delete, but those mirror posts look pretty challenging.

Does the reflection of the chrome mirror posts bother you? What did you do about it? Is there a simple solution, like removing the posts or using PlastiDip? Or do you just have to wrap them in place and hope that you can match the curves?

I just purchased a 2020 MX and I love the car. However, the chrome on the passenger outside mirror post is reflecting in the windshield and it's driving me nuts. I'm not a big fan of chrome anyway and was thinking about doing a chrome delete, but those mirror posts look pretty challenging.

Does the reflection of the chrome mirror posts bother you? What did you do about it? Is there a simple solution, like removing the posts or using PlastiDip? Or do you just have to wrap them in place and hope that you can match the curves?

do you have any pics of said pillar?

I've never experienced this myself in the 6.5 years we've had a X, so I'm curious how this manifests itself on your car. Is it the shiny part below the mirror itself that is reflecting? How is that visible in the windshield? (And just to be clear, I'm not saying this isn't an issue for you or your car, just never experienced it myself and I'm curious if there's something different on your car, or just something I'm not noticing on ours.)

Reactions: RNHurt
I had this in my 2017 X when I got it, but they'd reflect directly in my eyes. In any case, I just asked the guy that was tinting my windows what he could do and he put a smoke film that is typically used on taillights over that particular chrome to darken it slightly and make it matte instead of polished. Solved my problem at very little cost.

Reactions: Richbot and RNHurt
Wrapping is not hard if you're not afraid to do it over and over again. That's a very flat spot you can stick some satin vinyl on for $5 worth of supplies, $10 if you don't have an xacto knife set

I did the world's shittiest DIY gloss 3M vinyl black wrap on mine almost a year ago and it's still there

Wrapping is not hard if you're not afraid to do it over and over again. That's a very flat spot you can stick some satin vinyl on for $5 worth of supplies, $10 if you don't have an xacto knife set

I did the world's shittiest DIY gloss 3M vinyl black wrap on mine almost a year ago and it's still there
Yea, I think I might just get some DIY 3M vinyl black wrap and give it a try. The worst that can happen is that I have to peel it back off again. The best outcome is that I might do an OK job and try to tackle the door handles next. 😁

I've never experienced this myself in the 6.5 years we've had a X, so I'm curious how this manifests itself on your car. Is it the shiny part below the mirror itself that is reflecting? How is that visible in the windshield? (And just to be clear, I'm not saying this isn't an issue for you or your car, just never experienced it myself and I'm curious if there's something different on your car, or just something I'm not noticing on ours.)

It's probably latitude. I hardly ever noticed it in 5 years in the Pacific Northwest of the US, but then it rains a lot there! We've moved South and now I'm going to have to do something about this also.

• Informative