Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone seen this before? Windshield blocking IR light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a rat problem in the garage. Bought an infrared camera. Suddenly see this:
SmartSelect_20221204_180704_Kasa.jpg

It looks to me that the windshield reflected 100% of the IR light from the camera. My wife went inside the car and I couldn't see anything from the camera's eyes. Interesting.

And what's that crack-like thing in the middle of the windshield? Looks like a wire or something.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
And what's that crack-like thing in the middle of the windshield? Looks like a wire or something. Can't see any additional wires with naked eyes though.
Your garage door opener track (it looks like you can see the garage door opener itself reflected in the top of the windshield), and a while power cord that appears to be running across your ceiling to your garage door opener (look at your ceiling and then look at the picture).

FYI: I presume this is to help keep the A/C cooling energy down in the car... and it filters out all the skin cancer causing rays. In the old days people used to get a tan keeping their arms on the window sill. These days you have to keep the window open to do that... not that I would recommend that.

FYI: I presume this is to help keep the A/C cooling energy down in the car... and it filters out all the skin cancer causing rays. In the old days people used to get a tan keeping their arms on the window sill. These days you have to keep the window open to do that... not that I would recommend that.
Depends on if the side windows are laminated. ala -->
"Laminated glass is made from laminated plastic between two layers of glass, which is known to block 98–99% of all UV light. The problem, though, is that windshields only protect the front side of your face. The side window of your car is made out of a different type of glass (tempered glass). Tempered glass is known to block 60–70% of UVB rays, but not UVA."