Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to press the open door button a number of times to open the drivers door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past couple of days I have seen that to open the drivers door after I stop the car, I now have to press the button a number of times.

It never used to be like this, a quick tap and it opened.

I think it is OK if I press park first but I never had to do this. I recently updated to 2024.14.8

I did a soft restart and that made no difference

I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this? Whether this is an "undocumented" feature or a bug?

its a safety thing i think, the car wont allow you to easily open the door if your not "parked", i also have to tap a few times to open, when i need to open the back gate. But no problem if you press park first.

i guess its to prevent accidental rollaway with the door open maybe?

• Disagree
Reactions: doats1
its a safety thing i think, the car wont allow you to easily open the door if your not "parked", i also have to tap a few times to open, when i need to open the back gate. But no problem if you press park first.

OK Thanks. Interesting because mine didn't used to do that. I guess I am going to have to get used to pressing park first.

This can't be correct. I can still open the door even if I'm not in park. It will instantly put me in park as I do it but I can still do it, and it works first time.

This can't be correct. I can still open the door even if I'm not in park. It will instantly put me in park as I do it but I can still do it, and it works first time.
OK, That is how mine used to be. I will do a hard reboot later and see whether that makes a difference. I guess if not I shall raise a service request and see what they say. I have an update pending too so I will do that as well

In the past couple of days I have seen that to open the drivers door after I stop the car, I now have to press the button a number of times.

It never used to be like this, a quick tap and it opened.

I think it is OK if I press park first but I never had to do this. I recently updated to 2024.14.8

I did a soft restart and that made no difference

I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this? Whether this is an "undocumented" feature or a bug?

It's possible that you may have a switch going bad. But slow down and try to narrow the situation in which it has problems.

what you need to do is drive down the road come to a stop (dont press brakes too hard) and DONT press park.
then try opening the door, see if this gives the same outcome.

if im parked, got in to drive and press the open door it works fine, its only when i come to a stop from driving and try opening the door do i get the issue which Jon_UK is having.

what you need to do is drive down the road come to a stop (dont press brakes too hard) and DONT press park.
then try opening the door, see if this gives the same outcome.

if im parked, got in to drive and press the open door it works fine, its only when i come to a stop from driving and try opening the door do i get the issue which Jon_UK is having.
I took a trip to the supermarket and back earlier and did just that before I responded. Opened first time on both occasions.

Reactions: Sonny-Jim
>Spray in the crack with TV tuner cleaner.

When I'm cleaning electrical switches I tend to use (surprise coming up) switch cleaner! ;)
Right. Showing my age.

TV1.jpg

TV2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jon_UK and Adopado
I seem to recall a while ago having to press more then once or harder than usual to release the drivers door. Think i may have given the button a brush or blow over or possibly a bit of fist banging , but it cleared up never to come back, it works first press now whether in park or not. On 14.9

Reactions: Jon_UK