Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having issues lately shifting out of park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my Model 3 since August, and use my phone (Galaxy S8) to unlock the car. It's usually reliable, every once in a while the car might take a little longer to unlock but overall it's been great. But lately, about a week ago, I've developed a new problem. At least half of the time, when I get in the car using Bluetooth (car door unlocks fine), the car won't shift into R or D. Most of the time there's no message from the display, the car simply doesn't shift out of park. It's happening everyday now. Sometimes it works as it should and sometimes it doesn't, with no discernable pattern that I can distinguish. I fix it with the wallet card, but I want the car to work the way it's supposed to. I had an update two days ago to 46.2 and that didn't fix the problem. Anyone else experience this?

I thought I had the same problem OP described, but then I found that I was simply too gentle in either depressing the brake or flipping the gear stalk. Once I started depressing the brake deeper and fully flipping the stalk, I haven't had any issue.

I had the same issue but only once, about 3 weeks ago.

Bluetooth was connected, car started, even tried keycard to verify it started. Tried everything could think of but had to do full power off and then power on. Then it worked. But luckily that was my only experience. Good luck OP.

Same problem here, happened twice in the past 2 months. My car is at service center tonight and they will look at this problem in addition to "Traction Control/Stability Control/Regenerative braking/Automatic Emergency Braking disabled" errors I got on 2 days ago.

• Love
Reactions: MMBTUS
Same problem here, happened twice in the past 2 months. My car is at service center tonight and they will look at this problem in addition to "Traction Control/Stability Control/Regenerative braking/Automatic Emergency Braking disabled" errors I got on 2 days ago.

So I got that crazy combo message a month or so ago... sat on the line waiting for a person to speak with from Tesla for about 2hrs. The solution? Hard reset and it went away... never came back, but was definitely concerning with all the "Tesla needs service" messages.

More on-topic, I had the same issue a little while ago for a few days: get in car, able to unlock/open door, but then car won't drive. Once or twice was a "tap key card" to turn on car (which makes no sense, I literally just unlocked and got in the car with my cell phone!!). The other 2 times it didn't matter what I did, the car wouldn't get out of P. Had to just get out, close the door, and get back in... then it worked. But these were only the odd few occasions all bunched together, then it never happened since. I do notice lately (and consistently!) that if I get in the car, press the brake and flip down to go into drive too 'quickly' the car doesn't respond, and I have to wait a few seconds and do a second tap on the stalk for it actually to go into Drive. A bit annoying, but not nearly as annoying as not driving at all...

I had the same issue but only once, about 3 weeks ago.

Bluetooth was connected, car started, even tried keycard to verify it started. Tried everything could think of but had to do full power off and then power on. Then it worked. But luckily that was my only experience. Good luck OP.

I'll give this a shot. BTW, the scroll button reset immediately fixes the issue in a particular instance, but it often happens again the next time I need to use the car.

Here is what service did according to my invoice
1. Corrections: Module - Steering Column Control
Technician performed physical inspection as well as inspection noted date stamp but was unable to see alerts for multiple attempts to shift into gear. Replaced Steering column control module as proactive measure. Verified proper operation after replacement.

2. those combo disabled error messages
Corrections: Firmware Update - Repair
Technician verified alerts were due to a firmware bug currently under investigation with Engineering team. A future firmware release will include a fix for this concern.

By the way, they also applied Dual Motor Badge on their own without given me any indication they would do it. I would've declined it if they asked though.

I thought I had the same problem OP described, but then I found that I was simply too gentle in either depressing the brake or flipping the gear stalk. Once I started depressing the brake deeper and fully flipping the stalk, I haven't had any issue.

I often have to double pump the gear stalk to get D or R. Perhaps unrelated, I did have my steering column control module replaced a couple of months ago for the blinker issue. I'll try pressing the brake a little deeper to see if that helps.